Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Truck Died, Now No Start.

Default Truck Died, Now No Start. (FIXED)

Interesting issue here. I was datalogging a transmission issue and the truck suddenly shutdown. It actually ran really rough and when I came to a stop, it died. Couldn't get it started again. I towed the truck to my shop and I went to start it and nothing except if I hold my foot on the gas. I can get it to run about 1000 RPM with about 30% throttle. I can verify this number if it matters. So I have spark, I checked injectors with a noid light and got flash. Fuel pressure looks great, what's next here? I see stuff about Firmware, but would it start at all if that was the issue? BTW, all sensor data shows up in the datalog.
    Last edited by TYTILIDIE; 12-10-2020 at 06:55 AM. Reason: Fixed issue

Could be lots of things. Sensor failure, maybe part of the wiring harness got burned by a header pipe, vacuum leak, MAP sensor failure, TPS failure, etc.

OK, I'm posting some Datalogs here. The one titled TRUCK DYING is from the day this happened. I was trying to diagnose a transmission issue and right at the end you can see the RPM steadily decline. That's when all of this started. The one titled ROUGH RUN, is from this morning. I can it to start & run, but it's very rough and won't run without throttle. It makes some popping noises like there's an ignition problem, in fact, the tach flutters when you hear the pops. Furthermore, when it shut down I got out, for the short time it ran, it was really hot and the headers were glowing. I've triple checked for vacuum leaks and nothing. If anyone looking at this thinks that's the case, I can put my smoke machine on it. Sorry for the ZIP files, I don't know if there's a better way.
    ROUGH RUN.zip TRUCK DYING.zip

Quote Originally Posted by TYTILIDIE View Post
    Furthermore, when it shut down I got out, for the short time it ran, it was really hot and the headers were glowing.
    Ensure the ignition timing is still synchronized, the fuel pressure is correct, and there's no exhaust leaks upstream of the WBO2 sensor.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS T/W 11R 205 heads, 232°-244° duration/.623" lift/114° LSA camshaft, 12:1 C/R, TFS R-Series FTI ported intake, BBK 80mm T/B, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 200A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, -6AN fuel system plumbing, Walbro 255 LPH pump, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/3000 RPM converter, B&M Hammer shifter, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 M/T Street Comp tires.

It seems to be, but it's hard to tell because it won't run without my foot on the gas. Even then, it's hard to get it going. Verified no vacuum leaks with smoke machine, verified no exhaust leaks, fuel pressure looks great. I'm not sure what to look at next. I had a spare ignition module and put it on, even though I know it wouldn't start at all if it were bad, but that did nothing. Got spark, got fuel, seems like a timing issue here. I also tried installing my original tune, nothing.
    Last edited by TYTILIDIE; 11-27-2020 at 08:02 AM.

OK, I went through the Synchronize Timing steps. I unplugged the injectors and found that while cranking I get 15°. I plugged everything back in and fired it up with my jumper starter and had the light in my hand, I quickly looked at the balancer before it shut off and found the timing to be fluctuating between 10° & 15°. It ran very rough, RPM was super low and it seemed like the light didn't want to flash all the time. I tried to rev it up by opening the throttle plates and it didn't really rev, just more or less tried to choke. If I open it steady and kind of flutter it I can get more RPM, but can't hold the timing light at the same time. So it seems like I have no timing.

Anyone? This is insane. I wish this thing had better diagnostics, or diagnostics at all.

Is there air, fuel, spark, compression? If not, which isn't happening? Look at a spark plug if necessary.
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....5760#post45760 (Scroll down to "Typical No-Start Checks".)
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....ents-Read-This (Initial Checks & Adjustments - Read Steps #1-#6!)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS T/W 11R 205 heads, 232°-244° duration/.623" lift/114° LSA camshaft, 12:1 C/R, TFS R-Series FTI ported intake, BBK 80mm T/B, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 200A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, -6AN fuel system plumbing, Walbro 255 LPH pump, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/3000 RPM converter, B&M Hammer shifter, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 M/T Street Comp tires.

Quote Originally Posted by TYTILIDIE View Post
    Anyone? This is insane. I wish this thing had better diagnostics, or diagnostics at all.
    Why are you assuming that it is an EFI problem? Sounds like your skipped a tooth on your timing chain or something along those lines.

I could be way off here, but I looked at your datalog and your RPM goes from nothing to something at the end of it several times not a smooth line. My guess would be to check your crank sensor gap or wiring.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast