Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coolant Temperature Sensor

Default Coolant Temperature Sensor

Hello gentlemen. I have the complete Holley Sniper EFI and HyperSpark system for a 1985 Mustang. I have a Street Warrior intake with several 5/8" options for the coolant temperature sensor. However, the coolant temperature sensor appears to be 11/16". Is there a part number for a reducer option?

The Holley EFI coolant temperature sensor is 3/8" NPT threads. There's no such thing as 5/8" or 11/16" NPT threads.

Pipe thread bushings are a common item available at most any hardware store or auto parts store.

3/8" - 18 NPT Major dia - 17.055mm (17.46 = 11/16). Tap drill size - 14.10mm
    Regards, Gary

Yes, pipe threads are difficult to understand since they're tapered and since the dimension is internal. 3/8 pipe means the inside of the pipe is 3/8 of an inch. The OD can be significantly larger and the thread size depends on where you measure it.

Nothing difficult to understand. Either he needs an NPT reducer fitting or not.

You can find some nice low profile NPT reducers. I think I got mine at Lowe's.

Roger that Danny. All I had in the shop was calipers and took a shot in the dark on measurements. Regardless, I need to find a way to install this on my intake and it’s too big by one size.

Perfect. Thank you very much. I will be making a trip to Lowe’s today to pickup a reducer and put it right in front of cylinder number five. Any recommendations on material for example brass versus steel.

A brass fitting is fine.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS T/W 11R 205 heads, 232°-244° duration/.623" lift/114° LSA camshaft, 12:1 C/R, TFS R-Series FTI ported intake, BBK 80mm T/B, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 200A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, -6AN fuel system plumbing, Walbro 255 LPH pump, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/3000 RPM converter, B&M Hammer shifter, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 M/T Street Comp tires.

If there's room on the intake then it might be possible to drill & tap to the next size up. I'd need to see a picture to know if that's possible or not, but it might be. If your intake has a 1/4 NPT fitting now it might be possible to drill and tap it to 3/8 NPT. A step up bushing is going to be awkward.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast