Thread: Canít Complete Static Timing Check

Default Canít Complete Static Timing Check

Hello. I know this subject has been discussed before, but I have not found a solution in any of the previous posts I have seen. I cannot get either the Actron CP7529, or my 40 year old Craftsman timing light to trigger when cranking, to verify Static Timing Set. This is a 383 SBC with 10:1 compression, 60-2 crank trigger and custom HEI distributor with Hall-Effect single pulse cam timing sensor with adjustable reluctor. I'm using an MSD 6A ignition module which drives a Mallory Promaster coil, MSD Super Conductor 8.5mm wires and Autolite 3924 resistor plugs, gapped at .050Ē per MSD instructions. I'm also using a gear reduction starter due to space limitations. The MSD LED, shows it is receiving trigger pulses after a couple of revolutions of the engine, as I would expect, and there is a spark at the #1 plug wire, but no timing light. I have a hole cut in the distributor cap at #1 terminal and I've read the MSD article on rotor phasing. Now if I could only get the timing light to fire!

I know some of the components I listed here have been suspected to cause this problem in other posts, but is there a recommended approach to take in a test only mode to verify Static Timing before actually firing the injectors? Any help that has been found to work is appreciated.

Does the engine run? If the engine runs, but the timing light doesn't work then you need a different timing light. We have a stack of different timing lights in the dyno room and sometimes we have to try 3 or 4 different ones before finding one that will work on an EFI engine. I don't know exactly what's going on with the inductive signal or why it's different with the EFI, but sometimes the timing lights just don't work. I've never found a good explanation for this, but I've seen it.

BillW, what's the crank sensor air gap?
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS T/W 11R 205 heads, 232į-244į duration/.623" lift/114į LSA camshaft, 12:1 C/R, TFS R-Series FTI ported intake, BBK 80mm T/B, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 200A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, -6AN fuel system plumbing, Walbro 255 LPH pump, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/3000 RPM converter, B&M Hammer shifter, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 M/T Street Comp tires.

To answer both questions. I donít know if the engine runs because I have a replacement fuel pressure regulator on order that should arrive tomorrow, I'll try it then. I've been hinky about trying it until verifying timing settings. If I was still 17, I'd already be driving it Iím sure.

The second question regarding the crank sensor air gap. It was set to .030Ē when I installed it, but I'll verify that again. I'll check it at multiple degree locations to be sure, and because I have nothing else to do until the pressure regulator gets here. Thanks for the responses. Bill

I had the same problem with my engine, the only thing I found that would work was to replace the #1 spark plug with a regular (not a resistor) spark plug of a similar heat range. This worked with either a large gap or normal (.030") gap. With the resistor plug re-installed, the engine runs great, but the timing light (CP7529) will not work with resistor plugs. (I even moved it to different cylinders to see if I could get a reading, but no luck.) If you have a non-resistor plug around, give it a try, it works for me.

My Actron CP7529 timing light works fine with resistor type spark plugs.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS T/W 11R 205 heads, 232į-244į duration/.623" lift/114į LSA camshaft, 12:1 C/R, TFS R-Series FTI ported intake, BBK 80mm T/B, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 200A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, -6AN fuel system plumbing, Walbro 255 LPH pump, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/3000 RPM converter, B&M Hammer shifter, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 M/T Street Comp tires.

What spark plug wires are you using? They may be too insulated to get a reading. Example: Moroso Ultra 40s.

MSD 8.5mm Super Conductor.

My Actron CP7529 timing light works fine with resistor type spark plugs and MSD 8.5mm Super Conductor wires.