Thread: Absolutely WILL NOT start when Coolant Temp is above 140°F.

Default Absolutely WILL NOT start when Coolant Temp is above 140°F.

When the car is cold it cranks for a good while and seems like it's trying to catch, almost fighting itself while cranking (cranking timing wrong?), but then it does fire up & idles, and drives great as long as I don't shut it off.

Once it's off and coolant temperature is above 140°F, forget it! It will crank until the battery goes dead, very very frustrating! I've been running a Holley EFI and Dominator for over 10 years now and feel I'm decent at fixing any nuances that I run across with my cars, but this one has me stumped!

A little history. I'm using the same tune from my old combo last year, but now with a bigger combo. I went to bigger heads, solid roller turbo cam and went from 66 mm turbos to 76 mm turbos. I realize the tune has to Learn the new combo again, but I don't understand the hot start issue.

I odd thing is: It won't start by pressing on the gas pedal, so it doesn't appear to be overly rich. It won't start by adding more Cranking Fuel. I've tried adding and taking it the whole way down to practically no fuel and no change, will not start.

I have tried messing with the Cranking Timing as well, since it seems like it chuggs or tries to catch, but won't start. Cranking timing was at 10°. I tried 0, 5, 15, 20, no change...you guessed it! Will not start?

I've done TPS Autoset multiple times since I've been changing the throttle body blade. Where it is at now, the IAC is right around 2-5% at hot idle. I have quadruple checked the timing sync. I set Static Timing Set at 20° and it's at 20° at the balancer.

The car absolutely rips when you drive it, it just won't start warm/hot. Any ideas? Thanks in advance for any insight because I'm out of ideas.

Some of the After Start Enrichment or Fuel CTS modifiers out of whack maybe? Or a short that isn't apparent until it warms up. It's not bad enough to kill it, but when warm it's bad enough to break the circuit causing it not to start?

Sounds like you just need to go back to basics and verify everything is right. Especially since you said this all started after a top end upgrade. Loose grounds, or something along those lines. In my time working on cars, it's almost always the simple stuff, so simple we take for granted it's not the issue. Approach it as if it were a new install and do all the prestart checks from the manual. Especially grounds, relays, fuses, etc.
    Last edited by Bill C; 11-16-2020 at 10:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill C View Post
    In my time working on cars, it's almost always the simple stuff, so simple we take for granted it's not the issue. Approach it as if it were a new install and do all the prestart checks from the manual. Especially grounds, relays, fuses, etc.
    ^^^This is excellent advice. Don't assume anything is "right." Check the smallest of details. Andrew

Thanks guys. I plan on running through everything again this coming weekend. I'll give you an update soon!