Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stealth Ram - Do I have a Bad Fuel Pressure Regulator?

Default Stealth Ram - Do I have a Bad Fuel Pressure Regulator?

I'm ready to start a 383 small block Chevy with Stealth Ram MPFI for the first time, but having a hard time getting to the starting line. The Stealth Ram kit was purchased almost three years ago, so form factor, space, location, etc., could be worked out on a frame off build. Now I'm ready to start the engine and I can’t get any fuel pressure reading on the sensor. I attached an OTC pressure gauge to a Schrader valve at the injector rail and it showed me 43 pounds on day one, but the next day zero, and it's still zero.

I'm using an in-tank pump from Tanks rated to 435 HP, and today I disconnected the output and checked the flow with a +12V continuous source and it was strong. Then did the same at the return to the tank and the flow was the same, but there was no pressure reading on the fuel rail gauge while testing. If the fuel circuit flow is strong, but there's no pressure reading on the gauge needle, I can only think that the fuel pressure regulator is defective. It's mounted directly on the Stealth Ram fuel rail, but I don’t know if Holley is making that configuration anymore. Does anyone see a flaw in my logic before I contact Holley? Thanks in advance. Bill

Bill, how are the fuel rails plumbed? As I recall, on those systems, the regulator is on the return side of the system. What's the part number of your particular system? Andrew
    IG @projectgattago
    I offer remote Holley EFI tuning.
    I deliver what EFI promises.
    Please get in touch if I can be of service.

Andrew, thanks for the reply. Yes, the regulator is at the tail end of the fuel rail and you connect the return line to the regulator output itself. The Holley Avenger EFI Stealth Ram kit number is 550-821, which now seems to be obsolete. I have the fuel input connected at the front of the fuel rails at the junction of the crossover tube between the rails. At the input to that junction I have located the fuel pressure sensor and the Schrader valve that I connect the OTC pressure gauge to, where I'm seeing zero pressure. I guess the good news is that apparently I have no back pressure in my return line (a bit of dark humor). I've looked all over the Holley website and I don’t see either a replacement regulator or a rebuild kit for this one, which concerns me. Any advice is appreciated. I want to hear this thing run. Bill

Quote Originally Posted by BillW View Post
    Yes, the regulator is at the tail end of the fuel rail and you connect the return line to the regulator output itself. The Holley Avenger EFI Stealth Ram kit number is 550-821, which now seems to be obsolete. I have the fuel input connected at the front of the fuel rails at the junction of the crossover tube between the rails. At the input to that junction I've located the fuel pressure sensor and the Schrader valve that I connect the OTC pressure gauge to, where I'm seeing zero pressure.
    Example: Read Section "10.0 Fuel Rail Plumbing", Page 7: https://documents.holley.com/199r10510rev.pdf (See Figure 3, Page 8)

I've looked all over the Holley website and I don’t see either a replacement regulator or a rebuild kit for this one, which concerns me. Any advice is appreciated. I want to hear this thing run. Bill
    This is the Holley fuel pressure regulator (LINK), however, it's often replaced with the Kirban Performance (LINK) or Accufab (LINK) FPR. (Hint, the Kirban Performance FPR is very good!)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS T/W 11R 205 heads, 232°-244° duration/.623" lift/114° LSA camshaft, 12:1 C/R, TFS R-Series FTI ported intake, BBK 80mm T/B, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 200A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, -6AN fuel system plumbing, Walbro 255 LPH pump, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/3000 RPM converter, B&M Hammer shifter, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 M/T Street Comp tires.

Thank you Danny. The Kirbin appears to fit in the fuel rail as well, which is my goal rather than an external replacement. I assume it's form factor compatible with the Holley fuel rails. You didn’t comment on my diagnosis, but I looked at the plumbing instructions you referenced and my only deviation is that I connect the fuel rail inputs in parallel at the front of the rails instead of series starting at the rear of the passenger side fuel rail. This is because I don’t have enough firewall clearance for a right angle fitting in the rear. Does that make any difference in your estimation? Bill

@BillW: Post some pictures. Andrew

I'll try to get some posted today if the hosting service cooperates.

You can upload pictures directly to this forum. Andrew

Today I tapped a few times on the regulator with a large screw driver handle before turning on the ignition. After a few 5 second priming cycles the fuel pressure came up to 43 psi and slowly dissipated after turning off, as I would expect. Don’t know if things are stable, but I'll try again tomorrow and see if it's still working on both the test gauge and the sensor. I've included a link to some plumbing photos as you requested. How do you upload photos to the forum? https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...3RgJGoaiR7XrJq

FWIW: https://www.ebay.com/itm/154156548434. These are $35, the regulator is good, takes a common Aeromotive diaphragm if it goes bad, and the AN fittings are decent. Even comes with the adapter you'd need to go in place of your regulator on the rail. I bought one and was surprised. Way better than the LT1 style regulator Holley ships with Stealth Ram rail kits. I put it up to 60 psi with air to test it and 18 hours later it was still over 55 psi. My injectors are brand new, maybe that's why it didnt bleed down more? Either way. I didn't use the hose, instead got some rated for E85, but for an oil line, or transmission line. The hose they sent was OK, maybe it's Chinese, but for $35 it's hard to argue against, and they have a great review from lots of street car guys.
    Last edited by Bill C; 11-10-2020 at 12:49 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast