Thread: Correct Dwell setting for Delphi GN 10119 coils?

Default Correct Dwell setting for Delphi GN 10119 coils?

I have Delphi GN 10119 ignition coils on my 350 Chevy engine. They are supposed to be the same as GM 10457730 LSx coils which the instructions for the Holley 558-307 harness recommend setting the dwell at 5.0 msec maximum. Since this is listed as "maximum", is this the setting to start with, and what effect would a lower setting have on the system, coils, timing, or engine operation? As this question shows, I'm new to this level of technology and want to "do it right". Thanks in advance for any information. I'm getting anxious to get my project car (which I've owned for 47 years!) on the road. 1962 Jaguar XKE convertible, FI 350 Chevy, full cage, many mods to make everything fit/work.

I’d shy away from the 5.0 msec number. If you are N/A, try 4.0 msec.

I’m pretty sure all these coils will “self-discharge” if they're over-dwelled. It's a “feature” intended to keep from burning up the coils in case they are over-dwelled, instead you get to replace pistons and cylinder heads from the detonation caused by severely advanced timing that occurs when they “self discharge”.
    Last edited by fj1289; 10-29-2020 at 03:00 PM.