Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Electrical Debug/Testing Before Use

Two hours of screwing with it is what it'd cost in labor to wire up the HyperSpark.

Been there, done that, chasing electrical gremlins before. I'm not opposed to changing the setup, just want to know if I'm going to have to tear into the wiring for the MSD 6AL. The distributor side is piece of cake. It's more the MSD 6AL box that irks me because of how much effort I put into making a custom harness for it.

Were you planning on using timing control? The issues with the magnetic distributor seem to come up with timing control as the setup can be tricky. If you're not going to use timing control, you should be able to commission the system as is. Holley doesn't currently offer the HyperSpark for FEs, but the Dual Sync works well. The HyperSpark is plug & play into the Sniper, but for the Dual Sync you also have to get an adapter cable (or make your own) since the Sniper only uses the RPM output from the distributor. Holley is not very clear on the exact gear that is supplied with the Dual Sync and suggested a bronze gear when I contacted them. One response was the the supplied gear "should be fine", which didn't inspire cofidence. Since I went roller cam as well, I opted to get a steel gear and replaced whatever gear they supplied. It's a bit of an oddball since the Dual Sync shaft is not the same diameter as a stock Ford FE unit. I have all the info if you need the part number, should you decide to go this route. But if memory serves, the gear is for the 385 series engines.
    Last edited by GPatrick; 10-23-2020 at 01:07 PM.

That wasn't my original goal. I was planning on keeping the ignition separate. Actually, I was planning on running a boost-reference carburetor up until a month ago when I bought the Sniper Kit, so I wasn't even aware of how much functionality they packed into this system. I considered it fuel metering only for my purposes.

That's a relief though. I texted my wife earlier and said, "Hey, we may have to change up the wiring a bit." I thought she was going to leap through the phone and kill me. She's small, so she fits up under the dash better than I do.

@cv428: The problem with the Pro Billet is that it doesn't have vacuum advance. This is a street car correct? And you probably want decent gas mileage when you drive to car shows? Not to mention you'll slowly degrade the performance of the engine by cruising down the freeway with retarded timing. Just pop the MSD out of there before you fire the engine and sell it as new. Or send it back to Summit in exchange for a HyperSpark.

You can keep the MSD ignition box. Just run the white wire from the Sniper to the points in connection on the MSD and you're done.

@GPatrick: Ahh, I had forgot about the FE not having a HyperSpark. The Dual Sync Distributor will work, but it's a little more money. And good point on using the correct gear. You don't want to chew up the camshaft since that will require a full engine rebuild.

Just about everything for an FE is "a little more money" and I've just gotten used to it. The FE is a great engine design and a number of outfits keep cranking out new parts to keep the engine family alive.

Yeah, the FE has hung on fairly well and has excellent aftermarket support for such an old platform. I helped with a 700 HP pump gas street FE a few years back. Even had a two part article in Car Craft: https://www.hotrod.com/articles/dyno...-new-fe-heads/

Quote Originally Posted by AndyF View Post
    @cv428: The problem with the Pro Billet is that it doesn't have vacuum advance. This is a street car correct? And you probably want decent gas mileage when you drive to car shows? Not to mention you'll slowly degrade the performance of the engine by cruising down the freeway with retarded timing. Just pop the MSD out of there before you fire the engine and sell it as new. Or send it back to Summit in exchange for a HyperSpark. You can keep the MSD ignition box. Just run the white wire from the Sniper to the points in connection on the MSD and you're done.
    That sounds like a plan. I appreciate the help guys!

I just did a quick search and to my surprise I see that Holley is now offering the HyperSpark for the FE. Hard to pass up at $249. It does state that it's a cast gear, so a gear chance is required. They don't specify the shaft diameter, but if it's the same as the Dual Sync distributor a steel gear option is: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/crn-52971-1
    https://www.holley.com/products/fuel...arts/565-323BK

That is good news. I looked earlier this summer for a customer and the HyperSpark wasn't available then. I thought it was weird since Holley had HyperSpark for some really weird engines, but not one for the FE. It didn't make any sense, so the marketing guys must have figured out they had forgotten the FE.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast