Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I/O Harness with Digital Dash & Sniper

Default I/O Harness with Digital Dash & Sniper

I ended up buying a 7Ē Digital Dash, so I figured Iíd post a new thread concerning the issues Iím dealing with so far.

My only real problem at this point have been with trying to get the fuel gauge to read correctly (standard 0-90 Ohm GM sender), and my oil pressure to work reliably.

My fuel gauge issue was the digital dash showing a different level vs the actual ohm reading I was measuring with a DVOM. After ripping my hair out and doing some research, it seems like many ground their sender straight to the Digital Dash. So I ended up ripping the rear interior out of the car to properly route a new ground from my sender to the Digital Dash.

This seems to have done the trick, though there's no mention in any of the Holley literature or manuals that state this is necessary. And for the record, this wasnít a bad/dirty ground issue. I tried grounding it straight to the battery, and got the same gauge reading as my original ground location (where my fuel pump is grounded inside the trunk). So that was frustrating.

My oil pressure problem is ongoing. It seems to read right most of the time, but often when I first fire up the Digital Dash (either when simply starting the engine, OR turning the key on only) the oil pressure reads some crazy 10 digit number that makes zero sense.

The strange thing with the oil pressure problem is that itíll show those erroneous readings, but if I switch to another screen and then back to the one I started on, the oil pressure will magically fix itself and be normal. What's up?

Now, the oil pressure sender is a 10-180 Ohm VDO sender I had already. Itís self grounded to the engine, so no way to ground it to the Digital Dash. Same issue as my fuel gauge maybe? Iím probably going to install the overpriced Holley sensor, but really didnít want to do any more rewiring. You guys got any tips?

I also have a question about Gauge Averaging and Updates Per Second. Should I be using any of the averaging settings for my tach? Yesterday, it seemed like I was hitting the rev limiter early as per the digital dash RPM gauge. Wasnít sure if it was a gauge averaging problem or something with my 6AL.

Holley ECUs have dedicated chassis grounds and sensor grounds. I always run a sensor ground back to the ECU rather than running it through the chassis. Self grounding sensors can be an issue with the Holley stuff.

Since my Sniper is grounded to the battery and the Digital Dash is grounded through the Sniper, I figured the battery ground would work for the fuel gauge. Didnít seem to though. Seems all good grounded directly by the Digital Dash through the I/O harness, so thatís why Iím a little confused.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyF View Post
    Self grounding sensors can be an issue with the Holley stuff.
    Maybe with the Sniper or Digital Dash. Not with the HP or Dominator EFI.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS T/W 11R 205 heads, 232į-244į duration/.623" lift/114į LSA camshaft, 12:1 C/R, TFS R-Series FTI ported intake, BBK 80mm T/B, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 200A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, -6AN fuel system plumbing, Walbro 255 LPH pump, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/3000 RPM converter, B&M Hammer shifter, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 M/T Street Comp tires.

Any tips on the Gauge Averaging/Updates Per Second for the tach? Can having averaging turned on cause an incorrect reading (i.e. hitting the limiter before the gauge shows it should)?

My 7" Digital Dash tachometer functions fine with the RPM gauge default values.
    Averaging: None
    Precision: 1
    Updates Per Second: 5 / sec
    Channel Math: 1 * x + 0
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS T/W 11R 205 heads, 232į-244į duration/.623" lift/114į LSA camshaft, 12:1 C/R, TFS R-Series FTI ported intake, BBK 80mm T/B, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 200A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, -6AN fuel system plumbing, Walbro 255 LPH pump, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/3000 RPM converter, B&M Hammer shifter, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 M/T Street Comp tires.

Thanks. Iíll give that a shot.

Have you found any way to make the fuel gauge be stable? Mine isnít horrible, but itís not as steady as Iíd like. Found lots of posts about this, but no real solution so far.

Well, I bought and installed Holleyís slightly overpriced 100 psi oil pressure sensor kit, but the oil pressure gauge weirdness is still going on.

I have more confidence in the gauge reading in general, but itís still doing the random glitch out. By that I mean that the gauge will randomly read 3 trillion psi (or something like that). Yeah, an 11-digit oil pressure number. Iíve also seen NAN (not a number). Usually it happens on startup, and switching between screens always resolves it.

Iím thinking itís got to be some type of Digital Dash software problem, as Iím using a different sensor, different wiring, and different pins on the I/O connector. Totally different type of sensor as well.

I also swear my GPS odometer keeps turning itself off; or back to Dash Speed to be more accurate. I have the latest Sniper compatible firmware, so Iím at a loss.

I don't know what's going on with your install. I have the Digital Dash in my car that's hooked up to a Sniper and the gauge panel on it has been rock solid. What you're describing sounds like grounding issue or some other sort of poor connection. You might want to unplug the dash and clean the terminals and plug it back in. If that doesn't solve it, then reflash the firmware. You can also unplug it for a couple of hours to see if that resets it.

Thanks Andy. Iím going to do some more testing today to see if I can find a rhythm or reason for the oil pressure gauge thing.

Iíve found others having the GPS odometer issue, but Iím not sure on a resolution.

As far as grounding, the Digital Dash is just grounded through the Sniper. Then my oil pressure gauge is grounded to the Digital Dash I/O Harness. Is there something Iím overlooking?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast