Thread: Torque Converter Lockup

Default Torque Converter Lockup

What would be the best way to trigger a torque converter lockup without having a vehicle speed or a gear input available? Iím trying to keep it from locking up in a low gear. Iím using a 700R4 transmission. Iíve also wired a relay inline on the power side of the transmission. Any input would be appreciated.

It depends, on which case you have. An early case has a 4th gear pressure port on the passenger side. You'd put a switch in it there. A newer case has the 4th gear pressure switch inside. Do a YouTube search, Monster Transmission has some kits for doing this.

I have the later case. I had a vacuum switch that was controlling it before, but would rather have the ECU control it. It worked correctly with the vacuum switch where it wouldn’t lockup till 4th gear, but now after wiring it into the ECU it locks up very early in 2nd gear. I’m thinking about using duty cycle as a trigger to engage. I’m also thinking about using TPS, RPM & CTS of course. Any thoughts?
    Last edited by Pro318f; 10-17-2020 at 08:09 PM.

Do some research. I think (but not 100% sure) on a later case, you can put +12V to the front left wire on the four wire plug on the drivers side of the transmission. And join the right front wire to the left rear wire on that plug and the torque convertor will lockup.

Iím not having any issue with it locking up. Iím having an issue with tuning it accordingly, without a speed or gear signal input. Just wondering if thereís any other option in tuning it with any of the other options available. Maybe a load based option?

Using a 4th gear pressure switch, it'll only lockup in 4th gear. Using a configurable output, you can set the ECU to lock it up under whatever conditions you like when it's in 4th gear.

I'd strongly encourage getting a VSS Input to the HP, but aside from that, you can use other parameters/inputs (TPS/MAP, RPM, etc.) as well as a TIMER/DELAY which works real well for me.
    https://forums.holley.com/showthread...1386#post81386
    https://forums.holley.com/showthread...1409#post81409

It has a cable driven speedo. Any ideas on how to make that work? I’d love to have a speed input.

This is a copy & paste of one of my other posts:

Originally Posted by Danny Cabral
    Are you trying to send a pulses per mile signal to a speedometer, or adding a vehicle speed sensor channel input?
    If operating an electronic speedometer, do so by using the "Speedometer Output Enable" in the Transmission ICF:
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....0291#post30291 (Speedometer Output Info - Dominator ECU/Transmission ICF)
    If wiring a stand-alone VSS sensor (MPH display), do so with a custom speed Input in the Inputs/Outputs ICF:
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....ith-Holley-EFI (Installing A VSS Sensor)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS T/W 11R 205 heads, 232į-244į duration/.623" lift/114į LSA camshaft, 12:1 C/R, TFS R-Series FTI ported intake, BBK 80mm T/B, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 200A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, -6AN fuel system plumbing, Walbro 255 LPH pump, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/3000 RPM converter, B&M Hammer shifter, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 M/T Street Comp tires.