Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Terminator X, suddenly rich & barely runs.

Default Terminator X, suddenly rich & barely runs.

I have done a few Terminator X installs, never experienced an issue like this. Engine is an LSx 427 24x crank, 4x cam 42 lb/hr Green Giant injectors, off road car. Went through the Wizard, added the Injector Info (from the forum). Started right up, first five miles or so in Learn went well, pulled the tune, made some adjustments accepted Learn Table, cleared it, reloaded tune. I went for a second run, about two miles in car started running bad and stalled when I stopped. It wouldn't restart unless the throttle was held down and feathered, blowing black smoke. Went through standard troubleshooting and it appears nothing changed on engine (fuel pressure, etc.). Everything is tight, all grounds good, battery fine, alternator 14.2V charge. Went back and out in original tune, did TPS Autoset, same thing. Pulled power on Terminator for 20 minutes, same thing. I'm at a loss how to fix it. Datalog shows 13.6-14.3 AFR, MAP 93 kPa, IAC 80-100% (was going to 4% warm before). I have a datalog & tune, not sure what I'm missing?

MAP at 93 kPa, is that with the engine running?

Yeah, that means it's idling very poorly.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS T/W 11R 205 heads, 232°-244° duration/.623" lift/114° LSA camshaft, 12:1 C/R, TFS R-Series FTI ported intake, BBK 80mm T/B, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 200A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, -6AN fuel system plumbing, Walbro 255 LPH pump, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/3000 RPM converter, B&M Hammer shifter, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 M/T Street Comp tires.

A sudden fault like that looks like a faulty MAP sensor, wiring or MAP vacuum supply. Gary

Yes, it could be and should be checked. However, a poor idling engine will idle much higher in MAP kPa, which is an indication of something wrong in the tune (if it's not a mechanical problem).

Make sure that the right MAP sensor is selected in the Sensor ICF. If you have the internal sensor selected and don't in fact have a vacuum line connected to it, that would explain the 93 kPa when the engine is idling and driving. I bet your Learn Table had a bunch of red cells in the top 4 rows. If I can help with the tuning, please let me know. Andrew

Thanks for the good info. I did think I somehow messed up the tune, so I went back and used the "Wizard" to build a base tune, and just changed the injector table which the first time around was OK and tried that, but got the same result. It runs so fat I have had to change the plugs after a couple minutes as they were fouled. The MAP is the internal MAP sensor and Verified the vacuum line is good. The engine does have a factory LS7 MAP GM 28074366, but I could not find a table for it to use as an alternate. The engine has about 100 miles on it. I broke it in with the old MEFI EFI before I moved it over to the Holley. Is there a chance it has a bad WBO2 sensor?

I did forget to mention one maybe important factor. After this problem happened. I cannot get the Learn Table to fill out. That's originally why I pulled the power on ECU for 20 minutes. Prior to the problem the Learn Table looked normal from what I have seen on other Holley's I've done. I set Closed Loop to 0 RPM and 0°F temp as well. I cannot get the engine to keep running unless I bring it up to ~ 1800 RPM and 6% TPS and it just blows black like I'm pouring the fuel in. I don't know how to attach a Datalog or I would.

Learn Table is not plural, there's only one Learn Table.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS T/W 11R 205 heads, 232°-244° duration/.623" lift/114° LSA camshaft, 12:1 C/R, TFS R-Series FTI ported intake, BBK 80mm T/B, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 200A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, -6AN fuel system plumbing, Walbro 255 LPH pump, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/3000 RPM converter, B&M Hammer shifter, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 M/T Street Comp tires.

What I was referring to is that after I loaded the base tune back in, the Learn Table would no longer fill out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast