Thread: Fuel Loss

Default Fuel Loss

Hi guys. I have a fuel issue where if the car sits for a week or so, it won't start until I pour fuel into the carb with a bottle. There are no visiable leaks externally. If a fuel pump was bad could it cause the fuel to drain out? Once it finally starts, it'll run all day without an issue until it sits for another week or so. Thanks for any help, Chris.

What carburetor is it? Could remove the carb and set the level a couple inches over a piece of cardboard primed with 50% mix of Marvel Mystery Oil available at auto parts stores it is red and oil less likely to evaporate. Spray outside clean with starting fluid. After it's dry, start checking for leak. Fuel pump should have nothing to do with it. Don't do this indoors.

A bad mechanical fuel pump can drain the carb. I learned this the hard way.

@Stuck: What carburetor do you have? A partly blown Holley power valve will allow the bowl to drain and slowly evaporate. Hard starting is then a symptom.