Thread: Advice on a fuel pump.

Default Advice on a fuel pump.

Hello everyone. I'm looking for some advice on a fuel pump. Right now I have an LS6 swapped '84 Corvette with a 4L60E and a Terminator X running everything, and a 220°/224° cam. So this winter I'm swapping in a 4L80E, and then adding a 150 HP progressive dry shot. Anyway I plan on using 50 pound injectors and upgrading the fuel line size. The pump I have now is a Racetronix 255. I have a feeling that this won't be big enough. I saw Holley makes some 340 LPH in tank pumps. Would one of these get the job done? I'm looking at around 550 RWHP total. Also fuel pressure will be 60 psi. Thanks.

I'm not familiar with nitrous systems and the momentary extra fuel needs, but I'll say I've got a Aeromotive 340 in-tank pump on an engine that was 550 HP on the engine dyno and it's fine for fuel supply. My other system is in a car that's making 600 RWHP and I'm using a Magnafuel MP4302 that is frame rail mounted and rated to 1000 HP. (Both systems running 44 psi) They also make in-tank versions, but this car wasn't setup for that. With the caveat of not being familiar with nitrous, I think I'd go with a bigger one given the HP & psi.

Thanks for the input. I think I'm going to use Siemens Deka 60 lb/hr injectors at 43 psi. They move around 70 lb/hr at 60 PSI so that way if I ever go bigger cam, more nitrous or a stroker I can just turn up the fuel pressure. So from my reading, I think something in the ballpark of 400 LPH would work. Either that or two 255 LPH pumps. But that seems like overkill.

I don't actually know the answer to this question, but it sounds like something that could be worked out with just the injector flow rate. If you have 8 injectors flowing 70 lb/hr, that works out to 560 lb/hr total. Converting to LPH gives 350 LPH. So you'd just need to look at a pump curve to make sure it'll flow 350 LPH at the max pressure you intend to run.

@Phobos84: All of this doesn't have to be based on feelings. Look at your Fuel Flow numbers in the Base Fuel Table. If your System ICF is setup accurately, and your engine is tuned well, then the numbers in the Base Fuel Table will reflect actual Fuel Flow. For an extra 150 HP, add approximately 75 LPH and that will be your total flow requirements. I suspect your current pump is perfectly fine and that 50 pound injectors are too big. Having injectors that are too big can cause idle problems because if the pulse width is too low to achieve a reasonable idle AFR, then it'll always run rich at idle. Andrew