Thread: New to Fords & Holleys here. Seem to have several issues.

Default New to Fords & Holleys here. Seem to have several issues.

Hey everyone, I purchased an '82 Lincoln with a 302. It came with an Edelbrock intake and 80457-13 Holley carb. I also upgraded to an HEI distributor since I had it. I've put probably 500 miles tops since owning it mainly due to it running bad.

Problem 1: Low RPM and low load car has a pretty good shutter/surge that will sometimes carry into surging idle. From doing research that sounds like lean transfer slots. I set the throttle blade so the slot formed a "square", and then opened secondaries as necessary, and idle mix is about 1.5 turns out. It changed the issue a bit, but not enough to say it was a success. I then restricted the idle air bleeds and that made a big difference. It was actually nice to drive at that point. Can I assume the next step is drilling the idle restrictions out just a bit or is there something else?

Problem 2: Temps are starting to drop quick here in New Hampshire. It seems like when the temps are below 50°F the car does not start easily. It requires multiple pumps of the throttle while crank (usually about 3-4) and, once running it runs very ragged. If I tap the throttle the engine runs like a dream on high idle. I'm almost wondering if not enough air is getting around the choke on that initial startup. What's everyone think?

You need to buy a number drill set 61-80.
    Then size your idle feed restrictions in the metering block, and step up .001" at time.
    Don't touch the primary side speed screw once set to "square".
    Set the mixture screws at one turn out for the next startup adjustment.
    If the screws end up at no more than 1.5 out, you're about right. Gary
    Regards, Gary