Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 6530 Programmable Install

You're welcome. I wish it was, but no, that's not me or my car. I've watched Griffs a few times.

Hey gary, how ya doing? Say, I'm hooking up my MAP sensor feature and I don't want a bunch of timing added at idle. So first I want to use the manifold port to see where it's at, get a base line, write the curve, and then use the ported manifold port off my carb, correct? This will make the box think I'm at WOT and won't add (retard) timing back in? Thanks! D

OK, so now you have your run retard curve where you want, you need to decide on how much "vacuum advance" if you wish to add.
    Let's say the run retard curve pulls out 20° from 16° at idle to 36° at 2500.
    You can only pull an additional 10°, for a total of 30°.
    Here's an example of "vacuum advance":
    https://www.chevelles.com/threads/ms...089506&slide=0
    Note the 10° removed is at the right which is towards wide open throttle, 15 psia using a 1 bar MAP sensor. 0 (Zero) psia is a perfect vacuum.
    You have to move your distributor to 46° or 48° to allow for this.
    You should also center the rotor in the middle of the terminal during the middle of your advance.
    So the 30°/2° = 15°. So at 31°, (16° at idle + 15°), your timing light should show the rotor centered. Gary
    Last edited by Gaz64; 09-25-2020 at 01:32 AM.
    Regards, Gary

Good info. Yeah, I think I've read that post on Chevelle site. What I'm trying to avoid though is a bunch of timing at idle. So if I use the ported vacuum port, the box won't have a bunch of timing at idle, yet only at cruising when the engine starts to make vacuum. Is that sound thinking? Thanks, D

This is my run curve. MAP hooked up, but no curve yet. Car was running so you can see what it makes for vacuum. Distributor is locked at 35°.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200924_194457.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	89.0 KB 
ID:	10524
    Last edited by -=Z28=-; 09-25-2020 at 03:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by -=Z28=- View Post
    What I'm trying to avoid though is a bunch of timing at idle. So if I use the ported vacuum port, the box won't have a bunch of timing at idle, yet only at cruising when the engine starts to make vacuum. Is that sound thinking? Thanks, D
    Yes, you can do that, since the MAP sensor will think you're are WOT and not provide "Vacuum Advance".

I can see the engine running at idle with 11 inHg of vacuum. 10 psia is 10 inches, coincidence. 5 psia is 20, 0 psia is 30 inches.
    So when you do your maths, 9.5 psia is 11 inches.

Am I not thinking straight when I say I don’t want a bunch of timing at idle? I want 14° or so. I mean, if the car likes it I can give it more.
    My question is, how do I make a curve that prevents box from not retarding when it's idling? I do want more timing at cruising speeds though. Thanks, D

Just make your boost retard curve about the same in the example:
    https://www.chevelles.com/threads/ms...089506&slide=0
    Then advance your distributor by your 8° or so, connect the MAP to ported spark.
    At idle the MAP will read HIGH load and remove the 8° you just added by advancing the distributor.
    The base should still be at 14° at idle. The moment the ported spark port creates vacuum of idle, the "advance" will start to occur. Gary

That's what I was thinking also, just lookin for confirmation. I found this, which I personally think they should add to the 6530 instructions. Thanks for all the help. You live in MN by chance?Dan
    121-7531tech.pdf

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast