Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 6530 Programmable Install

Default 6530 Programmable Install

New here. I purchased my box a while back and I'm just installing it. Ran into a few snags. First, this site is great. Gary, mad tech has answered just about every question I had. First recommendation, when you buy your box, don't care what model, download the newest instructions. Follow them to the T.

So I ran into the typical issues as most have and as I've read MSD guys say, 98% of problems are from user not doing it right. I'll tell ya what, they're right. I spent seven hours yesterday reading just about every post, question related to the 6AL series. As soon as I had issues, my first reaction was to come here and post up a question. Yup, I was frustrated when I learned it took some time to get approval. So while I waited, I searched. Boy did I learn a lot. So much infact that I got my unit working and ya know what, it was my own fault. Believe it was a combination of things, less than 10V WHILE CRANKING, and a shotty ground. I was very surprised at how many threads were started and questions asked where if the person just did a little reading, they would of found the answer. Many must of figured it out and never came back to post results or some that did, but had NOTHING to do with the box. Such as no fuel, or floats not adjusted, or spark off, or things that just made me laugh that were so silly. This got me thinking, now this Gary guy from the land down under, he's got lots of patience, and is very willing to help. The MSD guys are also, but man do they get a lot of flack. They try to help, but well, sometimes you can't fix stupid. It's frustrating to them when someone bashes the product/company they work for. Yeah, instructions could be better. In their defense, someone who is installing one of these should have basic knowledge of how ignitions work, or be prepared to do some reading & learn. As I did.

Anyways, moral of this is, when you get stuck, dig in, read up, learn about ignitions. If you come here and post up a question that's been asked 1000 times, be prepared to not get a answer. Unless it's Gary. So yeah, try & learn about it before coming here and saying the box is junk. Cause as stated above, 98% of the time, it's you that has messed up. Great site, thanks for the invite. Lots of good info here. D

I do have a question. Is there a need for a fuse to be in the main 12V power line?

Depending on your installation, the +12V wire could already be from switched +12V that's fused, i.e.: from the fusebox. But if taken directly after the ignition switch, I'd add an inline fuse. The fuse is to protect the wiring from short to ground, etc. 10A should be enough. The small +12V wire is only the module turn on wire, the heavy current is switched within the module, and hence comes directly from the battery. Gary

OK. Great. Thanks! So I'm stumped, car ran, fired right up. I was off a tooth on distributor and could only get 10° till vacuum can would hit intake. Pulled distributor, moved one tooth CCW and now it only fires once, no run. I rechecked all the wires, distributor & box. Spark test only produces 1 spark from coil. So low voltage? Box blinks two times when keyed on, have 10+ volts cranking on both red wires. Oh, before box would blink while cranking and it's not anymore. New magnetic pickup, 780 Ohms. It worked before. All wires and grounds Ohms out very low, connections are new/clean. Multiple ground straps from engine to body.

Only thing I'm thinking it can be is I messed up moving distributor but I checked it like 5x. It's a SBC...easy.

6530 box
    HEI distributor
    Accel E-coil
    MSD 8.8 wires
    10+ volts while cranking.
    Box does not blink while cranking anymore.
    Box flashes two times when keyed.
    When I crank engine, it fires right away, dies and I loose connection with computer. Any takers? Thanks! Dan

I just noticed that when I load files TO the MSD, it doesn't finish loading. Gets about 85% of the way there and then stops, and says transferring from MSD to computer. Is this normal? Dan

The 6530 like, all MSD programmable ignition systems, is a retard system. The advance needs to be about 2-5° higher than the engine would ever need. In other words, the max would be 38°, if you want 36° max at 3000 RPM WOT. With no curve set, get the engine running at 10°, then wind it up to 38°, then add your curve. Gary

Gary, still can’t get it to run. It fires once and then it loses connection with computer. LED light is not flashing when distributor turns. I have combed over every wire with a fine toothed comb. Gauges on screen don't respond while cranking neither. The pressure gauge is reading 2°, no MAP hooked up. Red line going up & down at 2 psi. Really stumped here. Battery is charged. Tried with charger on also. Same thing, it fires once and that's it. Over and over and over. Any ideas? Thanks, Dan

Can you check the small red wire has battery volts at ignition on, and in the cranking position?
    Losing comms straight away is a sign of voltage dropout.
    Another test to try is turn ignition on, and a jumper wire to crank the engine directly from the battery. Gary

When I check, it's around 10.7V or so. Thinking I may just hook that small red directly to battery for a test. I'm using the old coil positive for the small red currently, as it's a decent gauge. Kinda feel like I put my foot in my mouth above. Thanks Gary. Dan.

Yes, I'd do that as a quick test Dan. A digital multimeter that can be set to trap minimum voltage is handy for voltage diagnosis. Gary

Well, after going over everything very carefully, I decided to call MSD and see what they think. I'm sad to say, they think the box is bad. I guess out of the thousands & thousands of boxes, a few have to have issues now & then. What's weird is I can get great spark with #1 at TDC, using #1 plug wire next to a ground and grounding out white wire. When I ground out the purple, I get one spark and box turns off.
    Big thanks to the guys at MSD. Very knowledgeable staff and professional. So tomorrow the box is getting shipped back for repairs. All in all, I kinda need a break from ignition stuff and this will give me a couple weeks to finish up on a few other things.

Thanks again Gary. The car I've been building for a couple years. Dan
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200819_173522.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	98.1 KB 
ID:	10398

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast