Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ford 302 Ready-To-Run Distributor - no spark.

Default Ford 302 Ready-To-Run Distributor - no spark.

Hi from Australia and I'm hoping to get tech help on my MSD system. I've had a MSD ignition kit installed for almost 7 years without fault, a MSD Ready-To-Run distributor, Blaster SS coil and MSD leads. Where I live, we've been in lockdown for a couple of months and the last time I drove my '69 Mustang was back in May 2020, though it's been started a couple of times since, however, now has no spark. I've tested the coil to confirm +12V power with ignition, and 4200 Ohms from post to +.
    After trying to test the resistance (red & orange terminals), without a reading, removed the cap to find some pretty ordinary looking contacts and rust on the module, please refer the images attached. I'm looking for advice on what to do next. I don't want buy a new cap & rotor ($100 AUD over here) if it's likely the module has failed. If the module has failed then it's $900 AUD for a new distributor, so don't want to be spending money unnecessarily on trying something. I'd appreciate any tech help on this. Thanks, Mike
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1975.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	84.9 KB 
ID:	10332 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1976.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	59.5 KB 
ID:	10333 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1978.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	94.4 KB 
ID:	10334 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1986.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	100.4 KB 
ID:	10335
    Last edited by mustang302; 08-21-2020 at 02:53 AM.

I'd test for spark at the coil because that cap looks nasty, if still no spark, test for a voltage pulse at coil negative or the tach output wire with a test light while cranking. If there's a pulse the coil is faulty, if no pulse verify the shaft is turning. The ignition module inputs need to be tested, verify the power & ground is good, test the trigger by measuring the magnetic pickup resistance and the signal can be tested with your multimeter set to AC volts while cranking. If all the inputs test OK, the module has most likely failed, replacement ignition modules are available.
    Last edited by tcm308; 08-21-2020 at 08:51 PM.

Thanks tcm308, was able to chase the problem from your suggestions. Had spark at the coil, but no pulse from the tach feed. It turned out the distributor ground had a break in the wire.
    New cap & rotor ordered, but at least it's running again. Appreciate the response.

You're welcome.

That carbon brush is useless. You need to check the cap, can you feel the spring tension as you fit the cap off.
    I'd replace the brush with the low resistance carbon brush. Gary

After purchasing a new cap & rotor, still having issues. Tests suggest the ignition module will need to be replaced. I've sent the following query to MSD tech support without response, so hoping some here will know.
    While not listed on Holley/MSD website, Summit Racing and others have this item listed - MSD Replacement Ignition Module Assembly ASY19970, though it's not specifically stated for #8532
    I haven't been able to confirm this is the replacement part for the MSD 8352 Ready-To-Run. Look forward to any advice. Thanks, Mike

Thanks Gary. My understanding is there are a number of modules available for the Ready-To-Run family, MSD-ASY14548, MSD-ASY19970, MSD-ASY34242, etc. I've discounted some, but haven't been able to confirm that the MSD-ASY19970 is the right one for the Ready-To-Run #8532. I bought the MSD 84661 Magnetic Pickup, hoping it was a plug & play, but not the case, so still trying to resolve. Thanks, Mike

Ah, there's more than one. Are you sure your distributor is not an 8352?
    https://www.holley.com/products/igni...ord/parts/8352

Thanks, typo 8352, they don't list the assembly in their service parts and you can't find ASY19970 if you search their site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast