Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Terminator failed. No Points Output

Quote Originally Posted by DMRacing View Post
    I’m a bit dyslexic so excuse me if this doesn’t pertain, but a friend of mine had the exact same problem; HP system, 1st Gen Dual Sync, etc. Ran awesome first 7 months then it just wouldn’t start. He was about to trash then HP when I suggested he look under the cap. Sure enough it was heavily corroded. I mean HEAVILY! Replaced it with the second Gen Dual Sync and it fired right up on the first attempt and hasn’t so much as hiccuped in 2 years. Soooo, check under the cap.
    Thanks, but I already checked when I read why those were discontinued. It has almost no rust on it. Barely any rust visible. The truck is a really nice restored truck and is only driven on weekends. I doubt it has 1000 miles since completion. Customer is furious. Now I'm stuck in between because I recommended this product and then it fails. Plus the same setup is in another car of his that he wants to road trip Route 66 in the fall and has zero confidence. I normally just use factory ECUs for the LS cars I've built and those have been driven for years without issues. No more EFI swaps with carbs for me at this point. Can't afford it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gax64
    A few aren't reading the OP's information. He has engine RPM in the Terminator, which proves the ALL of the input side. He has no spark, but I'm sure he's performed the white wire to ground (points wire test) on his MSD. Which is why he's suspect on no output from the Terminator. So if the white wire is not grounded by accident, I would say the Terminator ECU is faulty. Gary
    I've tested the white wire for voltage & ground and continuity. Again this truck ran great for six months then customer turns it off to go inside his house to get his phone and it wouldn't fire up. Tested this system numerous times. Verified all my wiring and everything is OK. I'm not sure how the white wire grounded itself randomly. Then it's an open circuit.

I'm not buying another unit if this is faulty. Between my customers and myself we have spent over $20K in Holley parts (three Terminators EFI kits, numerous LS oil pans and a few accessory drives, LS swap kits, LS intakes, etc.) in the past 5 years. If I don't hear back from Holley I'll just install the old MSD billet distributor and send it. If it fails completely the truck will get a new drivetrain.

Apparently when the ignition circuit is dead on the Holley ECU it doesnt see the MSD CDI box to tell the system the RPM and when to spray fuel. Dead in the water. Would someone from Holley contact me? Please.

What version are you running? I had the same issue a month ago. Took the car out put about 20 miles on it came home and parked it. Went out the next day and had no spark. I ended up verifying no ground pulse from the ECU. I updated to the newest 160 or 171 version. It fixed the Points Output driver in the firmware update. It's in the literature from Holley.

Always run the latest EFI software/ECU firmware.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS T/W 11R 205 heads, 232°-244° duration/.623" lift/114° LSA camshaft, 12:1 C/R, TFS R-Series FTI ported intake, BBK 80mm T/B, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 200A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, -6AN fuel system plumbing, Walbro 255 LPH pump, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/3000 RPM converter, B&M Hammer shifter, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 M/T Street Comp tires.

Quote Originally Posted by Khuebner250 View Post
    What version are you running? I had the same issue a month ago. Took the car out put about 20 miles on it came home and parked it. Went out the next day and had no spark. I ended up verifying no ground pulse from the ECU. I updated to the newest 160 or 171 version. It fixed the Points Output driver in the firmware update. It's in the literature from Holley.
    Hi. I'm running V4. Is this driver glitch in V4 or V5? The reason I ask is because I have a simple setup on my BB FE. I don't need a lot of the extra features the V5 has and I'm using the yellow wire at the coil for the tach signal. Thanks, Joey.S

I had a driver issue in V4. Updated to V5 and it's been good.

@Khuebner250: Thanks, I just updated mine this morning. Easy to do. I didn't see the post where Danny said to always run the latest, most of the time if something is working good I leave it newer isn't always better. Joey.S

Correct, new EFI software/ECU firmware versions are 95% of the time better. I only remember two times when a new EFI software/ECU firmware version had a major bug. I'll continue using the latest EFI software/ECU firmware versions with confidence.

Thanks, I feel more confident now with Holley updates since you have more experience with them. I was hesitant because I've done many updates for Ford vehicles and some created more problems then they fixed. Take care Danny and thanks for your input. Joey.S
    Last edited by Joey.S; 09-07-2020 at 05:32 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12