Thread: IAC Kick Question

Default IAC Kick Question

Recently got the truck running and I've been driving it a little and working out a few small kinks. Wednesday evening, I had a friend come over and charge the A/C for me and when we took it down the road to see how it was doing. As I'm slowing down to turn around in someone's driveway, the truck dies. Did this same thing 4-5 times and only when you're at a reduced speed of around 10-15 MPH or less turning into the driveway. If you turn the A/C off, it's fine. Current IAC Kick setting is at 20%. Is this as easy as increasing that value in the tune until the truck acts like it should or will increasing that value start affecting other parameters? Thanks, Chris

Datalog the event to help you diagnose the problem.

Overlay the datalog onto your Global File, and pay special attention to the center paragraph in blue print:
    Originally Posted by Danny Cabral
    Quick Datalogger Information:
    Always provide data, not just symptoms. Is the AFR & ignition timing optimized? Overlay the datalog onto your Global File.
    Ensure the Target A/F Ratio table is properly programmed for your engine. Ensure the ECU is "Learning" (Learn Table LINK).
    Scroll through the datalog to the problem area. Then look exactly where this happens on the Base Fuel & Timing Tables. Scrutinize:
    RPM, MAP, MAT, TPS, CTS, IAC, Target AFR, AFR Left, CL Comp, Ignition Timing, Duty Cycle, Fuel Flow, Fuel Pressure & Battery.

Using the Holley EFI software (LINK), look at where the live cursor moves to during this occurrence, and
    manually tune that area of the Base Fuel Table (enrich or lean) & Base Timing Table (optimize ignition timing).

I find the most helpful datalog function, is overlaying the datalog on your Global File.
    I'm in the habit of using the datalog Overlay feature every time I review a datalog.
    Click on "Datalog" (on the top Toolbar), "Activate Overlay", then "Open Data Log".
    You can literally "playback" a recorded event, and watch it as it happened on any screen.
    Minimize (shrink) the datalog window, and move it to the bottom of any Global File screen.
    Then click & scroll anywhere on the datalog, and watch it playback on your Global File (EFI software).
    http://documents.holley.com/techlibr...9r10543rev.pdf (Holley EFI Datalogger Instructions)
    https://forums.holley.com/showthread...s-amp-Datalogs (Datalog & System Log Information - Read "NOTES")
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqHO...C6FEA0BB99AF17 (How To Record & Email A Datalog)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7OZUXLRS1Q (How To Record A System Log & Diagnose A No-Start Condition)
    https://forums.holley.com/showthread...7531#post77531 (Closed Loop Datalog Tuning - Posts #2, #4 & #6)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS T/W 11R 205 heads, 232°-244° duration/.623" lift/114° LSA camshaft, 12:1 C/R, TFS R-Series FTI ported intake, BBK 80mm T/B, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 200A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, -6AN fuel system plumbing, Walbro 255 LPH pump, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/3000 RPM converter, B&M Hammer shifter, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 M/T Street Comp tires.

Chris, the first question I want to ask is whether the ECU actually has an input from the A/C? This is required for proper A/C Kick functionality. Andrew

Yes, we wired the IAC Kick (I believe it's the white/red wire if I recall) to the compressor.

Hopefully through a relay!

It's entirely possible that your tune is not optimal in the idle area and when the compressor kicks on, it puts the load and RPM in a place where the engine is not happy. The other thing that generally happens when you slow down is that the fans kick on, so there may be a couple of issues compounding the problem. Andrew
    IG @projectgattago
    I offer remote Holley EFI tuning.
    I deliver what EFI promises.
    Please get in touch if I can be of service.

It's not wired through a relay. I've seen comments about "Yes, you should or no you don't need it." We just followed the Holley instructions that mentioned nothing about a relay in the instructions they provided. So the fans are working as they should when the A/C is turned on. I'll have to datalog it, but per my original question, is increasing the IAC Kick percentage going to play a factor in this situation?
    Last edited by cshar5; 08-14-2020 at 11:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cshar5 View Post
    ...but per my original question, is increasing the IAC Kick percentage going to play a factor in this situation?
    The short answer is "maybe". Without knowing all of the other things that are happening, it's really not possible to answer with a simple "yes" or "no." Andrew