Thread: 4175 Carburetor Leak

Default 4175 Carburetor Leak

My 4175 is leaking fuel at the main throttle shaft, left side. It leaks onto the manifold. I have set it up as per specs. Float level is good. Fuel pressure about 9 psi, no electric pump. New needle & seat, etc. It just drips a little. Small puddle. When I check the puddle after a few weeks, seems to evaporate and becomes thick.

I'm guessing I need to Install a bushing on the shaft. Maybe the white sleeves.

A 4175 is vacuum secondary spread-bore.
    So you have what float bowls on this one?
    Factory would be side pivot non-adjustable.
    Your fuel pressure of 9 psi is too high, I'd have 5-6, 7 psi as max.
    And if any slop in the primary shaft, I'd rebush the throttle body with a bronze bush. Gary

Thank you. It does have side pivot non-adjustable floats. All though you can bend them a bit. I might have been too high when I said 9 psi. It has a stock mech fuel pump. I'm going to rebush the primary shaft soon.

Sorry for any confusion.
    The factory side pivot bowl is not externally adjustable like many other Holley carbs.
    The float level needs to be adjusted from within the float bowl, once removed from the cab, like many other carburetors. Gary

I got a CarbJunky carb shaft bushing kit. What a great fix. I was able to tighten some of the bolts that were loose and fix the leak. No more fuel or vacuum leak from a loose shaft. Easy Peasy!

Yes, they are good kits. I've used their reamers & bushes for my own different carbs a few times.