Thread: Dual Sync Issue

Default Dual Sync Issue

Took the kids for a drive today and on the way home she started acting funny. A ton of hesitation and bogging and was really only happy above 2500 RPM. I checked the handheld and it was running rich, so I knew it was missing cylinders or there was something wrong with the ignition system. It got super bad at the tail end and fired off a backfire that sounded like a shotgun blast and died in my driveway, won’t start. Checked the fuel pressure, a little low but still there. Checked the MSD 6A and the light is steady red, could still be the culprit, but doesn’t seem likely and of course MSD documentation says the solid light indicates a functioning unit. No way to check my coil that I know easily (SS Blaster) and of course I recently tossed my spare coil canister, figures. Up next was to check for spark but I have fuel pressure so I know there is no spark or the sensors in the distributor aren’t correct, I mean it won’t even remotely start. So I pulled all the plugs and checked compression. I had another reason, but that was to use the starter to help me get the car in them garage, don’t judge too harsh, had to be done, LOL. Good compression all around, 180-190 psi each cylinder. So I pulled the distributor cap and found this, this is a Holley Dual Sync that is on a garage kept car and has been in the vehicle for about three years. The cap is just as bad. I would’ve never added this to my list to check given she is garage kept and has spent maybe five days outside in the seven years I’ve owned it. I checked with a buddy who has pretty much the identical setup and he said his was getting this way as well. I doubt Holley will stand behind it given how old it is but c'mon, this is unsatisfactory. I’m not positive this is my problem yet, but I feel it has to be addressed. To me it’s either this or the coil. Thoughts/have any of you experienced this on your distributor? I’d expect so much more for the money and I’m basically stuck getting another one given how I set the car up.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B69435EB-BD1C-4F0A-8741-674A182CCFB0.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	115.4 KB 
ID:	10231 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9E5C7C56-2305-49DF-A5C4-F9B6C8C0E2C7.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	99.6 KB 
ID:	10232

I assume this is a Generation 1 Dual Sync Distributor: https://forums.holley.com/showthread...nc-Distributor (Related Forum Thread)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS T/W 11R 205 heads, 232°-244° duration/.623" lift/114° LSA camshaft, 12:1 C/R, TFS R-Series FTI ported intake, BBK 80mm T/B, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 200A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, -6AN fuel system plumbing, Walbro 255 LPH pump, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/3000 RPM converter, B&M Hammer shifter, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 M/T Street Comp tires.

It sure is. I’ll give them a call tomorrow and see what they say. Not positive that’s my issue, but it clearly needs to be fixed.

All MSD distributors have the same rust.

The 2nd generation Holley Dual Sync Distributor internal rust issue is supposed to be resolved.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS T/W 11R 205 heads, 232°-244° duration/.623" lift/114° LSA camshaft, 12:1 C/R, TFS R-Series FTI ported intake, BBK 80mm T/B, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 200A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, -6AN fuel system plumbing, Walbro 255 LPH pump, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/3000 RPM converter, B&M Hammer shifter, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 M/T Street Comp tires.

Yes, the 2nd generation Dual Sync Distributor I bought appears to have a glaze type sealer on the circuit board, and the rotor/reluctor is black, it almost looks like a powder coat. I doubt it will ever show oxidation like the 1st generation units I've seen. Many times companies will show a revised model and not make many changes. On these distributors that's not the case; they're clearly improved and better sealed. Also the distributor body to cap fit is much firmer, positively slips into place before you, even put screws in it.

I had the same issue with garaged California car. I maybe had 2000 miles on it, it wouldn't fire one day. I started troubleshooting, opened the cap and WOW! Looked like it came off the Titanic or something, I couldn't believe the corrosion on my pampered car. I had to purchase a new distributor, I wasn't happy.