Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: LSx coils on SBC.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
    I like your style, Sir! I spy a C6 fan controller module. I like the heat shield to deflect heat away from the air filter, very clean setup! Andrew
    Yes indeed, C6 fan controller nice catch! Works like a charm with HEFI PWM output driving it.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Cabral View Post
    Yeah, that's a very clean vehicle.
    Appreciate the compliments Danny/Andrew. It sure means a lot coming from you both on these forums! Your posts have helped me resolve issues over the years! I've been running the HP/Stealth Ram setup since 2013.

HP EFI V4, 388cid Stealth Ram, 1000 CFM 58mm throttle body, Holley Dual Sync Distributor. LS Coil Near Plug, 1 bar MAP, 48 lb/hr Holley EFI injectors, 43 psi

That's nice. Great job!

How do you like the Stealth Ram? Have you used other short runner TPI intakes in the past like the MiniRam/LT1 or a single-plane with elbow and TPI throttle body? There is not a lot of direct comparison info out there for this stuff.

I have zero complaints with the Stealth Ram. I'm using with the GM PerfParts VORTEC Fast Burn heads, and 280XFI HR13 cam (2000-6000 powerband). With a 750 carb it made just about 500 HP @ 5800/480 TQ @ 4600 flywheel on dyno. I haven't wheel dynoed the car with the Stealth Ram, but have to think it's in that same realm. I don't race the car, it's just a street cruiser and other than some time spent with Dennis Moore @MooreRacecraft to initially square away a tune, and learn HEFI basics, all other tuning I've done on my own with help from the folks in this forum when needed. Biggest reason I went with Holley EFI is in large part to the support provided here, and through the **extremely thorough** online Help/Tuning guides and documentation.

I can tell you the original TPI (with mods, and S/C) I had in it for about 20 years did not pull to 6000 RPM like it does with the Stealth Ram. It'd run out of steam around 4800-5000 (albeit different cam/heads, etc).

BTW, I bought this car NEW in 1987 (first new car out of high school), and it's been some form of STOCK/MODIFIED GM TPI/MPFI since around 1990. I actually pulled the original 307 Olds engine out while it was still under the factory 6YR/60K powertrain warranty.

Here's a couple of pics of the iterations...there's been more, just don't have pics handy. I've thought about switching to MPFI Holley intake with elbow and LSx style mono-blade T/B for simpler/less cluttered look, but I'd probably upgrade to some form of LS/LT engine if I ever swap again, getting too old for this stuff, LOL

HP EFI V4, 388cid Stealth Ram, 1000 CFM 58mm throttle body, Holley Dual Sync Distributor. LS Coil Near Plug, 1 bar MAP, 48 lb/hr Holley EFI injectors, 43 psi

Do you have better driveability with the LSx coil setup?

Distributorless ignition systems always provide better driveability.
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....3038#post33038 (Detailed Crank Trigger/DIS Conversion Information & Reasoning)
    https://forums.holley.com/showthread...-great-upgrade! (Distributor vs. DIS/CNP/COP Ignition Timing Difference & Feel)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS T/W 11R 205 heads, 232°-244° duration/.623" lift/114° LSA camshaft, 12:1 C/R, TFS R-Series FTI ported intake, BBK 80mm T/B, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 200A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, -6AN fuel system plumbing, Walbro 255 LPH pump, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/3000 RPM converter, B&M Hammer shifter, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 M/T Street Comp tires.

That's kind of what I figured, or the big three would still be using distributors. I guess I was looking for a back to back comparison from a CDI box and distributor to the CNP setups in street cars where range is idle to 5000 RPM 99% of the time. Because as we all know the old HEI was damn good. (Most guys at SpeedTalk say for 11:1 compression or less and 6500 or less RPM do not bother upgrading.) The MSD 6A/6AL with crank sync is better, hotter, more accurate. So for naturally aspirated low RPM stuff, is CNP really worth the expense? I suspect this is my way of justifying another 800 bucks on ignition parts, because...well because! Ha, ha, ha.
    Hey Danny, can we add a "like" or thumbs up button to the forums? It would cut down on a lot of the "thank you posts" and make it easy for us all to find info faster when reading and searching the boards.

As I stated in those links, I'll never use a distributor again!
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS T/W 11R 205 heads, 232°-244° duration/.623" lift/114° LSA camshaft, 12:1 C/R, TFS R-Series FTI ported intake, BBK 80mm T/B, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 200A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, -6AN fuel system plumbing, Walbro 255 LPH pump, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/3000 RPM converter, B&M Hammer shifter, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 M/T Street Comp tires.

I've been reading the posts on this thread with interest. I have two cars with HP EFI; one an MPFI and the other a throttle body on a 177 blower. Both are SBCs and do have Holley Dual Sync distributors. I'd guess there must be some advantage in converting to CNP even without changing to DIS. Is this true? Thanks for any and all input. Larry

Coil-Near-Plug ignition is a Distributorless Ignition System.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast