Thread: Coil for programmable 6AL-2.

Default Coil for programmable 6AL-2.

I have a '65 GTO with a basic pump gas combo - 505 CID, 10:1, aluminum heads, 236° @ .050" hydraulic roller. Pulls about 14" of vacuum at 1000 RPM idle, rev limiter set at 5500 RPM. Nothing fancy, just a street car.

Right now I'm going running a Ready To Run distributor, programmable 6AL-2 CDI box, and the Blaster 2 coil. Will I see any difference at all with the HVC-2 coil, MSD 8253? I realize I probably won't see any additional horsepower, but will this help cold start or off-idle performance at all? She's a little balky when I first start her up and maybe could be a little smoother just off-idle when you release the clutch.

With a programmable ignition, it'd be more important to ensure correct rotor phasing. Do you have an adjustable rotor, and have drilled a hole in a spare distributor cap for testing with a timing light? You already have a decent spark output, so I doubt a 8253 will give a performance increase. More important to minimize the loss at the rotor tip. Gary
    Last edited by Gaz64; 07-07-2020 at 08:01 PM.
    Regards, Gary

Originally Posted by Danny Cabral
    Ensure the distributor's rotor-phasing is correct:
    http://documents.msdperformance.com/8644_tb.pdf (MSD Rotor-Phasing Document)
    MSD has a good video on why it's important:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWMlNwGW0tM (MSD Tech Rotor-Phasing Video)

For naturally aspirated engines, the rotor is usually phased halfway between minimum & maximum amount of timing advance used.
    For forced induction engines, the rotor is usually phased at maximum boost retard, because that's when cylinder pressure is the greatest.

Testing the MSD CD ignition box.
    Points Output - white wire & Magnetic Pickup - violet/green triggering:
    https://www.msdperformance.com/suppo...ng_techniques/ (Troubleshooting Info)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS T/W 11R 205 heads, 232°-244° duration/.623" lift/114° LSA camshaft, 12:1 C/R, TFS R-Series FTI ported intake, BBK 80mm T/B, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 200A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, -6AN fuel system plumbing, Walbro 255 LPH pump, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/3000 RPM converter, B&M Hammer shifter, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 M/T Street Comp tires.

I've never done anything with the box other than plug it in. I'm using the mechanical and vacuum advance of the distributor. Seems to run fine, is that a mistake? I actually have a 396 powered '72 Chevy with the same box, a Ready-To-Run, and set it up the same way with no issues. In both cases I was hoping to use the programmable box as a normal ignition box and maybe play around with the programmable features later, but I have not done so. Is that OK? If something is wrong, I don’t know it. Both engines run pretty good, I was just wondering if I could take advantage of the better coil. FYI: These are MSD Ready-To-Run distributors that I bought new, and both have fewer than 5K miles of street driving on them.
    Last edited by i82much; 07-07-2020 at 09:44 PM.

OK, thanks for your info so far. I'd read the instructions for the 6530, and take advantage of programmable timing control.
    If you're happy with your current timing curve, then that will guide you towards a usable electronic timing curve.
    The distributor needs to have the mechanical and vacuum advance locked out to take advantage of this.
    Ignition timing can be varied around at idle to help keep a stable idle. Gary
    Regards, Gary

Thank you. I'm running the same timing settings as most Pontiac guys run with similar setups and I think it's about right. I don’t think I want to mess with the programmable settings just yet. I didn’t start thinking about a coil upgrade because I thought something was wrong, I just happened to find a couple of old coils laying around and started reading about them and in the process found out about the HVC coils. When I bought the Blaster coil, I did not know there was a better coil available, so I just wondered if I was missing out on an easy upgrade from my Blaster 2.
    Last edited by i82much; 07-07-2020 at 11:03 PM.