Thread: Alternator Exciter Wire

Default Alternator Exciter Wire

Is there anything within the Terminator X harness that the single alternator Exciter Wire would connect to?

I just hooked mine up to a switched power and it's working great so far.

Quote Originally Posted by 68LS3Camaro View Post
    Is there anything within the Terminator X harness that the single alternator Exciter Wire would connect to?
    Nope. You need to connected to a switched +12V as V8EATR mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by 68LS3Camaro View Post
    As mentioned by the other two posters, the exciter is just a +12V switched source.

UNLESS if it's a CS-130 style alternator than it's expecting to have resistance on that exciter wire. The resistance on older cars would come from the ALT or GEN light on the dashboard. Without resistance on the wire with this type of alternator, the regulator in the alternator will burn up. The fix is to add an inline resistor or an old style bulb (not LED) inline from the +12V source to the alternator exciter input. Not sure off hand what resistance value the resistor would need to be. But you can do a search and find out pretty quick.

I have an alternator from an '04 Silverado, has the 4-pin plug. Presumably, that's not the CS-130 style correct? I'm new to the Terminator X Max which is what I'm using and was looking at the Holley 197-400 plug/exciter wire. My guess is that would work and then battery wire to the terminal on the back of the alternator? TIA.

The 197-400 has a single wire and that needs to go to a switched +12V source. The big stud on the alternator is the main output wire and it usually goes to the starter solenoid where there's a big +12V cable from the battery.

For the 197-400, the single wire goes to the L terminal at the alternator. There is also a S terminal. I'd add a wire there and connect that to the point in your electrical system that sees the biggest voltage drop when all accessories are running.

Adding the S terminal wire increases alternator output when there's a voltage drop in the system. The 197-400 connector uses the commonly found Metri-Pack 150 series female terminals. Andrew

IG @projectgattago
    I offer remote Holley EFI tuning.
    I deliver what EFI promises.
    Please get in touch if I can be of service.