Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Frustrating Intermittent Misfire

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Cabral View Post
    (Alan91Z28, PLEASE don't type your posts like you're texting. It takes me a long time to edit it. At least use Spell Check before posting.)
    Thanks. I'll strive to do better, as I appreciate your time and dedication!

Also one other thing I just noticed in the entire System Log is that it appears the EST SPOUT signal is 0 for the entire datalog.

Shouldn't EST SPOUT be the signal from the Holley to the ICM commanding the desired spark advance and overriding the default set position (i.e. 10° base advance you set with the bypass disconnected)? Again I may not be interpreting it correctly.

One other thing I'll add to this that I observe, and I'm cautioning this is a feeling vs fact. Since I've been dealing with this issue I've become extra sensitive to watching for it. Since it happens so infrequently, i.e. the big surge/misfire you can't help but realize, I have found that I "feel" something is not quite right and then turn my datalogger on. It doesn't always pan out, but I've gotten pretty good at anticipating when this might happen even though it's so infrequent. What I notice is a feeling of just running rougher, not terrible, but not smooth like 95% of the time it is. Could it be that I'm riding on fixed ICM timing at that point as the Holley has stopped providing an override? Anyways thoughts appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by alan91z28 View Post
    I agree with you point of maybe if i just put in a Dual Sync the issue resolves itself, but then I also need to add a CDI box, etc.
    If you want to stay with inductive ignition, Holley makes an inductive coil driver small enough you can just hide it somewhere behind the dash.

Don't go there. The Coil Driver Module has been well documented as failing on this forum.

Thanks Danny. I didn't know that.

You're welcome. (A Dual Sync Distributor & CDI box has been very reliable - a proven combination.)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS T/W 11R 205 heads, 232°-244° duration/.623" lift/114° LSA camshaft, 12:1 C/R, TFS R-Series FTI ported intake, BBK 80mm T/B, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 200A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, -6AN fuel system plumbing, Walbro 255 LPH pump, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/3000 RPM converter, B&M Hammer shifter, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 M/T Street Comp tires.

The one thing I'm worried about trying the dual sync is that it appears the distributor base "might be" wider than the GM small cap. I see it has "ears" for the hold down screws. I need to check this.

The RAMJET 350 intake is very crowded in the back as the fuel feed and return along with the fuel pressure regulator are all right there leaving a tight space. For the small cap you can orient so the ICM connector faces towards the rear driver giving enough space away from the firewall yet still able to adjust. I'm worried that with two "ears" if it's wider than the GM small cap I'll be able to get it in, but maybe not enough to rotate.

I did buy a Dual Sync and MSD CDI box, but honestly my mindset has been tough on pulling the trigger unless I'm reasonably confident that resolves the issue as I have confidence if I go back to GM type ECM (it's modified to allow flashing vs prom) I likely put that effort in and then issue resolved.

I like the Holley and the Pro Dash now I have in the radio slot, etc, just would like to get it to work! I did also email Holley including a link to this so they could get my file. Hopefully some good ideas to resolve between them and the great people on this forum. I'm trying to think about backing up to an old version of firmware, likely though also need to reload old application program as well so makes another set-back on the computer setup, but likely the next thing in my control to try.
    Last edited by alan91z28; 06-25-2020 at 12:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by alan91z28 View Post
    I'm worried that with two "ears" if it's wider than the GM small cap I'll be able to get it in, but maybe not enough to rotate.
    Read "FYI", 3rd paragraph: http://forums.holley.com/showthread....ing-Holley-EFI (Ignition Timing Synchronization)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS T/W 11R 205 heads, 232°-244° duration/.623" lift/114° LSA camshaft, 12:1 C/R, TFS R-Series FTI ported intake, BBK 80mm T/B, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 200A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, -6AN fuel system plumbing, Walbro 255 LPH pump, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/3000 RPM converter, B&M Hammer shifter, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 M/T Street Comp tires.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Cabral View Post
    You're welcome. (A Dual Sync Distributor & CDI box has been very reliable - a proven combination.)
    Agreed. Haven't had any issues with my Dual Sync Distributor and Summit branded (made by MSD?) CDI box.

I think my next step will be to back up to firmware V5 110, which is what I had run all last year. I can't say was this issue present or not last year, as I was just getting it put together and learning done, etc., but I don't recall this issue and certainly did not anticipate it when I got it out after winter.

Question is, if I back up what's the easiest way to do it? I plan on disconnecting from the CAN link to my Pro-Dash 6.8" display to avoid needing to worry about that during this hopefully temporary test.

I have the 110 firmware and my old tune file from last year. Should I download the firmware with the present current computer side application Holley software (running V160 now), or do I reload 110 complete file set first and then can download the old firmware and tune? I'm just worried if I reload all the old software right now will it be able to talk to the Holley HP with 160 loaded on it (V110 was communication challenged in the first place, but it was what I was running so if I'm going to back up I want to try something I had used last year). Thoughts?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast