Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sniper Wiring With CDI Box

I watched the video again, you were right, all wrong. Ha, ha. I never even had the 10-pin harness hooked up because I thought it was just for accessories (fan, A/C, etc.), didn’t notice the white wire. Anyway, I have the white wire running from the Sniper to the white from the CDI box now. I had the violet/green wired in the wrong places, but now I'm trying to hook the violet/green coming from my distributor to the violet/green in the Sniper harness, but the only way they will clip together is if it’s “backwards”. Violet to green, green to violet. That didn’t seem right, so now I’m lost again. HELP!

That video and instructions is for an ECU timing control setup.

Oh, ya, I’m not controlling timing with the ECU. I debated a HyperSpark to do that, but thought I could just advance the timing manually (for now anyway). So basically I’m back to square one. Ha, ha.

Did you select CD box in the setup Wizard?

Yes, I did choose CD box in the setup Wizard.

My mistake. I thought you were going have the Sniper control timing. I ran mine without timing control for a while until I got more familiar with the Sniper software. Setting it up without Sniper control is fairly easy. You need to setup the MSD box just like you would if you still had the carb on it except the black & orange wires will go to your external coil. Then you only have two connection to the Sniper. The dark brown wire on the 10-pin connector goes to your tach. Then the Violet & green wires on the 7-pin connector plugs into the tach output on the MSD box using the purple wire adapter.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MSD HEI.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	62.2 KB 
ID:	9896 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sniper Ignition 3.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	78.8 KB 
ID:	9897
    Twin Turbo 400 SBC 748 RWHP
    1250 Super Sniper EFI,
    Edelbrock Victor Jr. CNC Ported heads
    Ported 2925 Super Victor Manifold.

The diagram shows the purple & green Sniper wires going to the MSD box purple tach wire. Does that mean the purple & green Sniper wires are twisted together and both of them connect to the MSD CDI box purple wire like the diagram shows?

If you think that's what the diagram shows, then you shouldn't be working on any electrical installations.

Have you triggered the CDI box with the white wire to ground with key on, to see if it fires the coil and display RPM on the handheld?

Sorry I hadn’t had a chance to work on the car for a few days. I hooked the wires like you said and still couldn’t get it to fire. Thanks to you telling me about the dark brown wire from the Sniper 10-pin connector. I do have a tach signal when cranking. My issue is no spark. I’ve done what someone else mentioned and touched the white wire from the MSD box to ground to fire the coil and it worked (coil was making noise and fuel pump was working) so that leads me to believe my CDI box and coil work as the should. I’m thinking one of the two things I have hooked to my IGN (12V source) is not getting the power it needs while cranking. I have my “pink” Sniper wire and a power wire from my MSD box that needs a 12V switched ignition source both run to my IGN. Tonight I installed a relay so the MSD wire and pink Sniper wire will be triggered by the ignition key, but run from the battery. Hoping this will maybe solve my issue, but with all the attempted starts. My battery is weak, so she’s on the charger. Fingers crossed with the relay and a full charge she’ll work! Also, yes, when I touched the white wire from MSD box to ground, I had a tach signal reading on the handheld.
    Last edited by Keebs; 06-11-2020 at 01:50 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast