Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sniper 4500 & MSD Crank Trigger

That's interesting, glad to hear that you got the crank trigger to work. I can see using a crank trigger with a Hall-Effect sensor as a good option for an engine where Holley doesn't have a HyperSpark, but if Holley has a HyperSpark available then I don't think I'd recommend a crank trigger. But good to know it's an option for someone who doesn't have any other options.

I'll never use an ignition distributor again! After my first distributorless ignition conversion, I was hooked.
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....3038#post33038 (Detailed Crank Trigger/DIS Conversion Information & Reasoning)
    https://forums.holley.com/showthread...-great-upgrade! (Distributor vs. DIS/CNP/COP Ignition Timing Difference & Feel)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS T/W 11R 205 heads, 232°-244° duration/.623" lift/114° LSA camshaft, 12:1 C/R, TFS R-Series FTI ported intake, BBK 80mm T/B, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 200A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, -6AN fuel system plumbing, Walbro 255 LPH pump, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/3000 RPM converter, B&M Hammer shifter, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 M/T Street Comp tires.

Quote Originally Posted by djh61187 View Post
    I've been using my MSD crank trigger since I setup the Super Sniper to control timing about a year ago. It has worked flawlessly using the magnetic pickup that I had already and then later on when I switched it over to the Holley Hall-Effect sensor. Setting it up for the magnetic pickup was fairly easy other than having to waste a expensive distributor cap by drilling a hole in it so I could phase the rotor. The Hall-Effect was simple enough to other than it took some time to get the Inductive Delay right, so the timing was stable throughout the RPM range. Here's the setting I used for both the Magnetic and Hall-Effect pickup. FWIW, I got all the info on setting it up from this forum. I wish I would've saved the all the pages I read about doing it.
    Thanks mate, made sense it would work given it acts just like Magnetic Pickup from Distributor. I trusted a fellow Chevelle Owner would come through with the knowledge. If I have issues, I can then try the 554-118 Hall-Effect Sensor, did you use the 558-493 Adapter with Hall-Effect Sensor? https://www.holley.com/products/fuel.../parts/558-493

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_72VEL View Post
    Thanks mate, made sense it would work given it acts just like Magnetic Pickup from Distributor. I trusted a fellow Chevelle Owner would come through with the knowledge. If I have issues, I can then try the 554-118 Hall-Effect Sensor, did you use the 558-493 Adapter with Hall-Effect Sensor? https://www.holley.com/products/fuel.../parts/558-493
    The Hall-Effect sensor comes with the male connector and pins (see pic below) that I used to make a short harness (see pic below) to connect to my existing 2-wire (Green/Violet) MSD pickup wire harness. I cut the female end off a old pickup cable for this. I'm still using my MSD Pro Billet Distributor because I need one with a adjustable slip collar so I had no need for the 558-493 Dual Sync Adapter. Although in the Sniper setup you need to choose Dual Sync has the Ignition type.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sniper Ignition 2.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	44.7 KB 
ID:	9875 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hall Effect Sensor.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	29.6 KB 
ID:	9876
    Twin Turbo 400 SBC 748 RWHP
    1250 Super Sniper EFI,
    Edelbrock Victor Jr. CNC Ported heads
    Ported 2925 Super Victor Manifold.

Good info! I was in the same boat, couldn't find answers, and didn't want another science project, went with HyperSpark distributor. Took off Crank trigger and matching distributor. Unfortunately, there isn't a slip joint for the HyperSpark (yet?) so in goes the HyperSpark into the lathe for a new collar. Wound up working just fine, just some fine tuning. Thanks for posting your findings!

Quote Originally Posted by djh61187 View Post
    The Hall-Effect sensor comes with the male connector and pins (see pic below) that I used to make a short harness (see pic below) to connect to my existing 2-wire (Green/Violet) MSD pickup wire harness. I cut the female end off a old pickup cable for this. I'm still using my MSD Pro Billet Distributor because I need one with a adjustable slip collar so I had no need for the 558-493 Dual Sync Adapter. Although in the Sniper setup you need to choose Dual Sync has the Ignition type.
    Thanks again. Now that I look at the other connector, it's a different plug anyway, but should be fine to use your method.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12