Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Blown Cadillac tuning assistance.

Yeah just sit in your driveway with the laptop plugged in and your headphones on. You can manually tune the idle area by watching the MAP sensor and the IAC Position. (I assume you have an IAC installed.) Once you're above 2000 RPM or so then the wideband O2 should start to receive a good signal and then you can let it take control. Once it takes control just watch the CL Comp and the Learn Table to see what it's doing. You can then either adjust the Base Fuel Table to match what the system is doing or just let it Learn on its own and Transfer Learning To Base.

I don't have an IAC. It starts up pretty good, I just have to give it about 1-2% on the TPS to keep it running until it gets a little heat in it. Doesn't take long, though. Great tip on watching the MAP though, as I've just been doing it by feel and ear.

Watching the MAP is just like watching a vacuum gauge, but backwards. Lower MAP is better when tuning the idle. Watch the MAP and the tach and you should be able to tune the idle fairly well. Are you controlling timing with the EFI system? If you are, then you adjust timing at the same time and really dial in the idle.

You might want to consider adding an IAC to your system. I'd think that you could plumb one into the hat. I've worked on Hilborn hat systems before that used the FAST external IAC.

Thanks for the tip on how to watch the MAP. Yes, I'm controlling timing with the ECU. When I was pricing out the system, Hilborn forgot to add it in the quote. I didn't realize I didn't have it until I was installing everything. When I called over there, they told me I could run without, and if I ever needed one, I could add a remote one at a later time.
    Last edited by cadillac531; 06-01-2020 at 04:42 PM.

This should work fine: https://www.holley.com/products/fuel.../parts/543-122 (Holley EFI 543-122 Remote IAC Kit)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS T/W 11R 205 heads, 232°-244° duration/.623" lift/114° LSA camshaft, 12:1 C/R, TFS R-Series FTI ported intake, BBK 80mm T/B, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 200A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, -6AN fuel system plumbing, Walbro 255 LPH pump, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/3000 RPM converter, B&M Hammer shifter, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 M/T Street Comp tires.

Obviously you can run without one since you are, but a functional IAC makes the engine much easier to fire up cold. So instead of sitting in the car with your foot on the pedal you can go do something else while the car is coming up to temp. Some racers don't install an IAC since it's one thing they can leave off the car, but I like to have one since I can lean in the car and hit the starter button and then focus on something else while the EFI system does it job. Your choice.

It sounds like he wants an IAC.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS T/W 11R 205 heads, 232°-244° duration/.623" lift/114° LSA camshaft, 12:1 C/R, TFS R-Series FTI ported intake, BBK 80mm T/B, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 200A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, -6AN fuel system plumbing, Walbro 255 LPH pump, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/3000 RPM converter, B&M Hammer shifter, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 M/T Street Comp tires.

OK, so I have some more work to do, but made some headway today. Got the system in Closed Loop. Have it set to go at 1900 RPM. Seems to like it there. I still have that hesitation just before it makes the 1-2 shift, and only does it when I'm really easy in the throttle. I'll go back in at that point and add some fuel. This is before the Closed Loop kicks in. Still need to do more tuning at idle so it doesn't slam into gear. I used to have the carbs tuned so that it was almost unnoticeable going into gear. I haven't gotten that good on the EFI idle tune yet, but I'll get there soon.

As for the IAC, I'm going to hold off for a minute as I have some other projects to tend to. I'm not too concerned about it at the moment. I appreciate your help, Danny & Andy.

Also, how often should I be Transfer Learning To Base? Should this be done after every session? Thank you.

No. Read this: http://forums.holley.com/showthread....7370#post47370 (Closed Loop & Learn Table - Especially posts #2, #6 & #11.)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast