Thread: No Start

Default No Start

I just installed my TFI distributor in my 460 and attempted my first start. Unfortunately, I have a crank, but a no start situation. I have two issues. The first causing the second I think. Firstly the battery is a bit low @ 12.1V and dips to about 9.9V at cranking, so I have the battery on charge, but I'm wondering if the low voltage might cause the crank signal to randomly stop? While cranking it says sync, then shows me my crank RPM (~132), but will randomly drop to stall for a second then pick back up. It sounded like it tried to hit twice, but I stopped so I could charge the battery to rule that out. The only other issue that might effect me is the truck has never had more than 11.5V while cranking even with dual batteries and stock electronics with a fresh starter. So I usually run all my electronics off of a second battery that isn't used for cranking. Will this cause an issue with the Holley? I currently have the Holley wired to the main (cranking) battery. If you're wondering why the voltage is low while cranking I have no idea, it has been like that since I bought the truck. I've added chassis and engine grounds, and have new battery cables and batteries. It never gave me an issue while it was running the stock PCM, so I stopped trying to fix it.

Please recharge the battery first.
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....5760#post45760 (Scroll down to "Typical No-Start Checks".)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS T/W 11R 205 heads, 232°-244° duration/.623" lift/114° LSA camshaft, 12:1 C/R, TFS R-Series FTI ported intake, BBK 80mm T/B, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 200A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, -6AN fuel system plumbing, Walbro 255 LPH pump, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/3000 RPM converter, B&M Hammer shifter, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 M/T Street Comp tires.

So I charged the battery all night and had 13.4V. Tried to start and the same no start issue. I have my timing set. I have spark, tested both with the timing light and watched the spark jump to ground, the spark is nice & hot. I tried to spray some fuel down the intake to see if it would hit and it backfired through the intake, I have the distributor set at 10° and turned the cranking timing down to 0° and it same back fire through the intake. So I have the kit installed on my 460 that had factory EFI, but I had to buy a distributor out of a 351W and changed the distributor gear for the 460 because the stock distributor used an external TFI module that Holley doesn't support. Is it possible that I used the wrong TFI Ford distributor? I'm thinking I might pickup an HEI 1-wire to make sure the distributor isn't the issue. What I think might be the issue is that the F series trucks didn't come with sequential injection, so the PCM is looking for a signal it isn't getting from the distributor although I do have RPM signal. However, I'm not sure if the distributor is different between the batch fire and sequential engines. I don't care if it runs batch fire or sequential injection right now I just need it to run ��. In the future it will get a dual sync distributor so it will run sequential just don't have the budget for a $350 distributor currently. Also, thank you so much for the help, I couldn't do it without it. ��.

http://forums.holley.com/showthread....5760#post45760 (Scroll down to "Typical No-Start Checks".)
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS T/W 11R 205 heads, 232°-244° duration/.623" lift/114° LSA camshaft, 12:1 C/R, TFS R-Series FTI ported intake, BBK 80mm T/B, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 200A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, -6AN fuel system plumbing, Walbro 255 LPH pump, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/3000 RPM converter, B&M Hammer shifter, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 M/T Street Comp tires.

So while I was going down the No Start Checklist and checking stuff, I called Holley and we determined that the 351W truck distributor I'm using doesn't have the proper trigger to run sequential injection. When the injectors are firing, it's random. So I'm going to pickup an HEI distributor until I can get a Dual Sync and run with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Big White View Post
    So I'm going to pickup an HEI distributor until I can get a Dual Sync and run with it.
    How much is that? https://www.holley.com/products/igni.../parts/565-303 (Holley HyperSpark Distributor - $249)

HEI is about $70, the dual sync is $350, but it will run the sequential injection. I haven't thought about the HyperSpark, but I'll look into it. Everything I'm doing is both prep work for my 513 stroker engine and to cut out all the wasted fueling the stock system had with batch fire and crappy fuel tables that where fat everywhere, but lean at WOT.