Thread: I need help with tuning my Sniper EFI.

Default I need help with tuning my Sniper EFI.

Good evening. I'm new to this forum and to the Holley Sniper EFI system. It's installed on a boat. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Boat info
    1999 Gen 6 Mercruiser 454 magnum
    Fully rebuilt with flat top pistons 9:1 compression
    Lunati Voodoo hydraulic/roller cam, 272°/280°, 575" lift, 112° LSA
    Roller Rockers
    Holley Sniper 4150
    HyperSpark distributor and holley coil
    Holley Sniper CDI box
    Holley Sniper Sheet metal intake

I do have a M1 Pro-Charger with AW324 intercooler with 5 psi pulley. I am currently not running the Pro-Charger belt. I'm breaking in the engine first. Can anyone advise me how long I should run this engine before running the Pro-Charger.

I've set everything up to Holley specs in the book. I'm currently at 15° on my timing, WOT is 34°. I have not entered in the info for the boost yet. I'm currently not running the recirculation pump on the engine, I'm running the impeller water pump and a crossover tube. It's very hard to get the temp up to 160°F to get it into Learn mode. I was able to make a few passes on it today with restricting the water flow to the engine. I was hoping someone could give me advise on a tune. I've attached the two short datalogs I have. well I'm trying to change the file type from .dl so I can attach them. Any help would be appreciated, Jared

The CTS that comes with the Sniper reads high when the engine is cold and low when it gets hot. Try swapping it out for the Standard Motor Products TX3. Your actual engine temp is most likely higher than the current gauge is reading. If the Sniper is running well (no EMI issues) then put the ProCharger on it. I assume you will be running the Wizard again at that point to include the boost settings?
    69 Camaro
    400 SBC, ProCharger D1SC
    1.302 60', 5.95@116.4 on pump gas

Okay, I'll look into changing it. I wanted to get a few hours on the engine due to the break-in lube in the engine. My Pro-Charger is not self contained. Yes, I'll rerun the Wizard when I add the Pro-Charger belt and intercooler to it. Thanks for you reply.

You can reduce the Coolant Temp Enrichment number so you go into Learn at a lower temp. Just change the value to 100°F or whatever you want.

That's an expensive engine combination that you're working on so I'd recommend spending a few hundred dollars and having a pro help you with the tune. FAST Man EFI is a good resource for engines like that. He can also do a remote tune if you have WiFi and a laptop connected. Or he can just email you a new tune.

Follow Danny's links (or read the instructions) on how to upload the GCF downloaded from the ECU and datalogs and we'll take a look.

There's significant research stating more pressure on the rings, (more than just easy roll on throttle application) both positive and negative is highly beneficial for break-in. I agree, add the blower and let it breath assuming the AFR and timing are in check.

http://documents.holley.com/199r11031r.pdf (Holley Sniper EFI Retrieve, Save & Upload GCF - SD Card & Laptop/PC Usage, Pages 72 & 73)
    https://forums.holley.com/showthread...102#post231102 (Related Forum Thread)

Originally Posted by Danny Cabral
    For further assistance, post your Config File and a short datalog of this occurrence for us to analyze.
    Also, review the datalog and inform us of exactly where in the datalog (time/seconds) the problem occurs.
    Datalog & Global Files can be linked to a document hosting website. I use Dropbox.com.
    Files can also be "zipped" (compressed zipped folder) & attached directly to a forum post ("Go Advanced" & "Attachments").
    Your Config File is in the "Documents", "Holley" folder, "Sniper" folder, "Config Files" folder (.hefi file).
    Your Datalogs are in the "Documents", "Holley" folder, "Sniper" folder, "Data Logs" folder (.dl file).
    Someone will analyze/troubleshoot the problem & offer advice.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqHOtDNiTNA (How To Record & Email A Datalog)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS T/W 11R 205 heads, 232°-244° duration/.623" lift/114° LSA camshaft, 12:1 C/R, TFS R-Series FTI ported intake, BBK 80mm T/B, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 200A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, -6AN fuel system plumbing, Walbro 255 LPH pump, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/3000 RPM converter, B&M Hammer shifter, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 M/T Street Comp tires.

Okay, I'll change the oil and add the blower to let it breath. Danny, I'm reading your attachment as we speak. Thank you all so much for taking your time to read and assist me with this. Jared

I think post #4 is worth reiterating. If you want someone to help you by means of a remote tuning session, I'd contact Chris Myer at EFISystemPro.com or Richard Nedbal (FastManEFI) at EFIExpert.com.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS T/W 11R 205 heads, 232°-244° duration/.623" lift/114° LSA camshaft, 12:1 C/R, TFS R-Series FTI ported intake, BBK 80mm T/B, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 200A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, -6AN fuel system plumbing, Walbro 255 LPH pump, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/3000 RPM converter, B&M Hammer shifter, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 M/T Street Comp tires.