Thread: Excessive fuel coming out of one Holley 4160 booster.

Default Excessive fuel coming out of one Holley 4160 booster.

Hello, first time poster here. I have a 302 that was dropped into a CJ7 from the previous owner. I've recently replaced the head gaskets on both heads, and rebuilt the carb. It's a Holley 4160 sitting on top of an Edelbrock Performer intake.

I'm getting a little hesitation upon acceleration, but I'm getting a little bit of surging starting at about 2500 to 3000 RPM. This has been going on for awhile now, and I can't seem to figure out what is going on. It's a bare-bones build with not many places for a vacuum leak other than the intake manifold and carb. I've replaced, and re-seated the intake manifold three times, thinking that I was getting a vacuum leak from the intake manifold. I'm not. I've sprayed with carb cleaner on all the surfaces - no vacuum leak to account for the hesitation upon acceleration and surging that I'm getting.

Yesterday, looking under the hood, I looked inside the carb while bringing the engine up to about 3000 RPM. The first thing I noticed was that I was getting a ridiculous amount of fuel coming out of the front driver-side booster, while I was getting very little fuel coming from the passenger side booster. This is causing a little bit of popping in the exhaust as the engine tries to burn off the extra fuel.

Float levels are perfect. No changes have been made to the fuel pressure since the rebuild and head gasket change. I just replaced the power valve again thinking that might be the problem (it wasn't). I just put on an in-line fuel filter after the last rebuild to make sure I'm not getting gunk in the carb.

I'm at wits end trying to diagnose this problem. I'm hoping that the excessive fuel coming out of the one booster is the issue with the surging (maybe not the slight hesitation). Does anyone know what would cause the one booster to dump too much fuel? Would this be causing the surging, assuming everything else is in order? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys and gals. Valhegen

A plugged air bleed will cause this to happen. May not be your problem, but is an easy check. Use a small piece of wire and insert it in the air bleeds to clean them out.

Can you hold the engine at near the point of "ridiculous amount of fuel", and then block the high speed air bleed on the other barrel to see if that barrel does the same thing? A video would be good to see. Gary
    Regards, Gary

That was it. It was a plugged air bleed. I blew them out with canned air, followed by carb cleaner and a small wire. Problem solved. Thanks for your quick replies and your assistance. Much appreciated. Something as simple as that has caused me problems for weeks. I should have come to the forums sooner. Thanks 81 TransAm & Gary.

You're welcome. Pays to clear the airbleeds with some carb cleaner on a periodic basis. Gary
    Regards, Gary