Thread: 556-200BK, MSD 6A coil info needed.

Default 556-200BK, MSD 6A coil info needed.

Ordering the MSD and Holley dual sync distributor today. Two questions. Engine is a 385 SBC, 226°/232° @ .050", .575"/.575" lift 110° LSA cam. It has about 58° of overlap. 10.45:1 static compression. Dynamic compression is right around 8.2:1. Tight quench 0.041", good AFR 195 Street Eliminator heads. Long tube headers. Cam should have enough vacuum for power brakes. 93 octane fuel. I do not mind paying a little more for a hotter coil, prefer it be black, plain looking to match my black/brushed aluminum theme under the hood.

1) What is a good coil to use? I see the HVC2 mentioned, is a $250 dollar coil really needed, or is GM HEI external coil hot enough to do the job?

2) I have the 550-406, it should not need any additional wiring connectors to do this install correct?

The distributor should be plug & play to the Terminator, and then just the MSD wires to the exposed yellow, black, and other wire like the manual shows?
    If I need any adapters I'd like to order at same time. Just being thorough, rather than skim through 20 pages to find a schematic, was hoping one of you had done this.
    Last edited by Bill C; 05-20-2020 at 04:01 AM.