Thread: 351W, MSD Atomic, several questions.

Default 351W, MSD Atomic, several questions.

Hello to the group on this forum. I've been reading on here for quite some time and have built up a list of questions that I need answered.
    Last August I purchased a Retromod 1964 Ford T-Bird with a stroked 351W and AOD transmission. It has the MSD Atomic EFI with a return system, MSD Street Fire ignition, MSD 8584 distributor, Performance products Typhoon dual-plane intake, Motorcraft 331 cam, and shorty headers. This engine makes a nice amount of low end torque. When I got the car, it did not come with the Handheld programmer, and the broker said that it wasn't available. So my first question is, when I purchase a new one can I just review all the basic settings, like cubic inches, timing and other parameters without changing anything? Right now the system works great with no issues.

My next question has to do with having the Atomic EFI control the timing. Currently the MSD distributor has the silver springs and red bushings. I know I would need to getting the two piece adjustable rotor, lock out the mechanical advance, and set the timing according to the directions that are posted in several areas on this forum. How much performance advantage would I see with the Atomic controlling the timing? I would also like to hear how anyone with a 351W and runs that setup, what their timing parameters are, and any other settings that would enhance the performance. I love the amount of low end torque and do not want to change that. Thanks in advance for sharing. Take care, Ed

Is there another area that I could ask these questions? I did submit these on the tech help on the MSD website and got no response their either. Take care. Ed

Quote Originally Posted by ak7an View Post
    So my first question is, when I purchase a new one can I just review all the basic settings, like cubic inches, timing and other parameters without changing anything? Right now the system works great with no issues.
    Of course. I have a 302 in which I had a considerable improvement in the car's adjustment mainly with the MSD controlling the ignition. What you can do is check how much vacuum, the starting point that the engine is at and the end and apply it to the control, or keep it the way it is and just go by observing the parameters that are already pre-established in the MSD.