Thread: Car will not rev under load/backfires/pops.

Default Car will not rev under load/backfires/pops.

My engine is a Ford 2.3L Turbo. Just started working on the tune. I started with the Global File from the customs folder Ford 302 turbo. I modded it best I could to fit my setup. The engine seems to rev OK under no load. But when I put it in gear an attempt to drive it, it falls on it's face. I can hear popping out of the exhaust. I'm sure the BASE Fuel Table needs a lot of love. Any suggestions?
    2.3L Turbo Engine
    36-1 Crank trigger Wheel
    NO CAM SENSOR - Untimed Sequential
    96 LB/HR injectors.
    LSx Coil-Near-Plug.
    tune.zip

Well it runs, so that means you were able to figure out a bunch of stuff. The tune has a ton of problems, but nothing that can't be fixed. First off are you really going to run this thing 5 bars? If not, then you should rescale the axis so you have more space for the area that you're going to run the engine in.

I see a bunch of problems, but the most obvious is that you have a Target AFR of 14.5 at idle as well as WOT before the boost comes in. I don't think you want to run 14.5 AFR at 1 bar and I doubt the engine will idle very well there either. The Base Fuel Table doesn't come close to supporting the Target AFR since the engine is running super rich when it is Open Loop. You'll need to figure out what a good AFR table is and then match the Base Fuel Table to the Target AFR before you'll be able to get it to run.

Your Base Timing Table has big giant cliffs in it. You go from 30° timing to 20° timing in one cell. I don't think the engine is going to like that at all.

My guess is that you need to pony up a few hundred bucks and get a pro to help you. Call Rich at FAST Man EFI and get squared away with a good tune before you blow that engine apart.

LOL, that is true. It took a while to just get that going! Once the car is dialed in, I'll probably use/need the 5 bar when drag racing. I was using the Evans Performance Academy when making the file. I'm not quite looking to make WOT runs right now. If the thing would rev to 3K under load that would be great! I don't think the car ever sits in Open Loop? It's currently set to get into Closed Loop. It'd be awesome if Holley put out a base calibration for 4 cylinders. You don't think 14.5 is an OK idle Target AFR? I know the Base Timing Table needs a bunch of work. Just needed somewhere to start. I assume there's no issue with using the 5 bar MAP sensor and just setting the table lower for now?

According to the datalog it isn't going into Closed Loop or Learn very often. Pull up your datalog and switch to a screen that shows Closed Loop and Learn Status and then look at the trace. When your Base Fuel Table is super rich and the Target AFR table is lean and the ECU is bouncing in and out of Closed Loop, you're going to have big problems. That's what is happening to you right now. You need to figure out a Target AFR that works for your engine and then get the Base Fuel Table to match and then figure out why it's bouncing in & out of Closed Loop.

If you aren't planning on going 5 bar MAP right now then build a N/ A tune so you can at least drive the car and get the bugs out. Or build a 2 bar MAP tune that lets you gets the bottom half of the tune sorted out.