Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sniper with MSD Digital 6AL Rev Limiter

Default Sniper with MSD Digital 6AL Rev Limiter

Researching installation of Holley Sniper. Switching over to EFI. My configuration will be:
    Holley Sniper EFI
    MSD Ready-To-Run distributor (3-wire) No Rev Limiter.
    MSD Digital 6AL (dip switch setting Rev Limiting) Presently using MSD 6AL for Rev Limiting. Never enabled the "Rev Limiter Verification" feature, but will check to make sure not active.

Questions:
    1) Should I use the MSD 6AL or the Sniper for the Rev Limiting?
    2) If preferred to use Sniper how should I set the MSD 6AL rev limit dip switches. As far as I can tell there is no way to disable rev limiting on the 6AL. Should I just set it to max 11000 RPM so never triggers from 6AL.

Quote Originally Posted by Diver View Post
    MSD Ready-To-Run distributor (3-wire) No Rev Limiter.
    Why? Purchase the Holley EFI HyperSpark ignition system (distributor, CDI box & coil).

MSD Digital 6AL (dip switch setting Rev Limiting). Presently using MSD 6AL for Rev Limiting.
    Use the Sniper EFI rev limiter(s) with ECU timing control.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS T/W 11R 205 heads, 232°-244° duration/.623" lift/114° LSA camshaft, 12:1 C/R, TFS R-Series FTI ported intake, BBK 80mm T/B, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 200A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, -6AN fuel system plumbing, Walbro 255 LPH pump, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/3000 RPM converter, B&M Hammer shifter, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 M/T Street Comp tires.

So I'll answer your question first.
    Holley says all this stuff works together!
    My distributor and 6AL all working fine!
    Not looking to do electronic timing advance!
    About $500 difference!
    Can add the other components later if I want to!
    I appreciate your answer, I figured I'd use Sniper to control Rev Limit, just looking for other opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by Diver View Post
    ...just looking for other opinions.
    Danny pretty much hit it right on. If you want opinions until you see one you agree with, then it'll be a while.

Question about setting or disabling the MSD Rev Limiter? As far as opinions, if no one has the actual answer that's all you get! And so far that's all that's been given!

It has been answered. You can only control the Rev Limiter in a Sniper if you control timing with the Sniper. There's only one option for me in the drop down menu (Spark). You can control timing with the MSD distributor & CDI box, but it's not as plug & play as the HyperSpark system.

Leon82, good info!

Quote Originally Posted by Leon82 View Post
    You can control timing with the MSD distributor & CDI box, but it's not as plug & play as the HyperSpark.
    Almost everyone that attempts that, ends up failing. It's not even worth it. See post #2 above.

Originally Posted by Danny Cabral
    In my opinion, if a Holley EFI user isn't familiar with the Magnetic Ignition Type "Minimum Signal Voltage" & "Filtering"
    parameters (in System Parameters/Engine Parameters/Ignition), then they have no business using a magnetic pickup
    type distributor. This is the problem with a magnetic pickup distributor, there's more tuning work/adjustment involved.
    Hall-Effect sensors are "set & forget", very easy to use. So they should purchase the Holley EFI HyperSpark Distributor.
    http://documents.holley.com/techlibrary_199r11259.pdf (Sniper EFI Help File - "Engine Parameters/Engine/Magnetic", Page 18)

The more robust Hall-Effect sensors are preferred because they're not susceptible to EMI/RFI interference/noise,
    and their digital square-wave signal strength is consistent, regardless of RPM (unlike the VR magnetic sine-wave).
    Also, the VR magnetic pickup signal is weaker at cranking speeds.

Another problem with using VR Magnetic sensors, is there's more tuning work. Hall-Effect is "set & forget".
    This sensor topic has been discussed many times. Use Hall-Effect sensors. Using a magnetic pickup sensor
    involves the hassle of reading a System Log and its "Crank A/D" channel to determine the optimum value.
    To make matters worse, the Sniper & Terminator X EFI don't even record System Logs, so you're guessing.
    The VR Magnetic Sensor Type "Minimum Signal Voltage" & "Filtering" parameters need to be programmed.
    http://documents.holley.com/199r10676rev.pdf (Magnetic Crank/Cam Input Filtering Parameters, Page 2)
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....4450#post54450 (Example: Wrong Magnetic Parameters, Post #25)

Hall-Effect: 3-wire, square wave signal (digital), pulse generation
    VR Magnetic: 2-wire, sine wave signal (inductive), voltage generation
    http://www.electronicproducts.com/El...g_for_you.aspx (Hall-Effect vs VR Magnetic)
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS T/W 11R 205 heads, 232°-244° duration/.623" lift/114° LSA camshaft, 12:1 C/R, TFS R-Series FTI ported intake, BBK 80mm T/B, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 200A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, -6AN fuel system plumbing, Walbro 255 LPH pump, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/3000 RPM converter, B&M Hammer shifter, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 M/T Street Comp tires.

Yes, I read many of those posts and decided not to even try it. I bit the bullet and sold the MSD and bought the HyperSpark.

Smart decision. (See post #8 above.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast