Thread: 1972 Nova 600 cid Holley HP. New member Dubuque, Iowa.

Default 1972 Nova 600 cid Holley HP. New member Dubuque, Iowa.

With this Nova I started out with a FAST EZ tune with a 468CI BB. Worked OK, but very limited for tuning Graduated to a FAST Sportsman, built a 600CI BB and it worked well. Wanted Sequential injection so opted to go with Holley HP. I do everything myself, so I built a tune and car ran good, but I could never get the command timing to sync with the timing light results. It was a least 10° less than command. I could get a bit better by turning distributor, but would result in significant starting kick back. I've been following Danny Cabral's threads referring timing sync, a treasure chest of great information. Hoping I'd find something I had messed up. No Joy yet! But I'm leaning toward the Dual sync distributor phasing. The rotor has burning the trailing edge and the position of the rotor is always past the #1 cylinder cap post at exact degree rotational positions. I'm here to learn.

Cut a hole in an old distributor cap, then use your timing light to see where the rotor is pointing when it fires. MSD makes an adjustable rotor to correct any issues.

Originally Posted by Danny Cabral
    Ensure the distributor's rotor-phasing is correct:
    http://documents.msdperformance.com/8644_tb.pdf (MSD Rotor-Phasing Document)
    MSD has a good video on why it's important:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWMlNwGW0tM (MSD Tech Rotor-Phasing Video)

For naturally aspirated engines, the rotor is usually phased halfway between minimum & maximum amount of timing advance used.
    For forced induction engines, the rotor is usually phased at maximum boost retard, because that's when cylinder pressure is the greatest.

Testing the MSD CD ignition box.
    Points Output - white wire & Magnetic Pickup - violet/green triggering:
    https://www.msdperformance.com/suppo...ng_techniques/ (Troubleshooting Info)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS T/W 11R 205 heads, 232°-244° duration/.623" lift/114° LSA camshaft, 12:1 C/R, TFS R-Series FTI ported intake, BBK 80mm T/B, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 200A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, -6AN fuel system plumbing, Walbro 255 LPH pump, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/3000 RPM converter, B&M Hammer shifter, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 M/T Street Comp tires.

Thanks, I'll give that a try when the adjustable rotor and new cap arrives. Ordered them yesterday. Looking at static rotor positioning of 30° BTDC looks to put rotor dead center of #1 cap conductor post. I have a max timing commanded in my Base Timing Table of 35° @ 3850 RPM and only show 25° on the light. 10° at idle and 4K guessing now the phasing isn't perfect, but does acceptably deliver spark for checking my actual timing with the light. Going to keep fishing. Have distributor back out nothing jumps out at me with gear wear pattern maybe a bit low, but looks good. Going to try my FAST Dual Sync distributor next and see where that sends me. I'll keep you posted. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Drapeau View Post
    I have a max timing commanded in my Base Timing Table of 35° @ 3850 RPM and only show 25° on the light.
    So turn the distributor to synchronize the ignition timing, using the Static Timing Set.
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....ing-Holley-EFI (Ignition Timing Synchronization)
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS T/W 11R 205 heads, 232°-244° duration/.623" lift/114° LSA camshaft, 12:1 C/R, TFS R-Series FTI ported intake, BBK 80mm T/B, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 200A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, -6AN fuel system plumbing, Walbro 255 LPH pump, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/3000 RPM converter, B&M Hammer shifter, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 M/T Street Comp tires.

Thanks Danny. I've gone through the MSD rotor phasing docs and going to try the drilling the holes procedure when my new cap and adjustable rotor comes. Also pulled distributor to check wear pattern on gear, looks a be a bit low on the gear, but acceptable. The camshaft has a gen 6 style retainer on it so it shouldn't be a walking issue. Going to try my Fast Dual sync and see were that leads me. I'll keep you posted. Thanks again.

Just so we're clear, rotor-phasing is not ignition timing synchronization. And rotor-phasing can only be accomplished after ignition timing synchronization. I'm not convinced the ignition timing is synchronized. Read the link in post #5.

I'm able to turn the distributor and get within 6° of command idle timing, but when I do this, when cranking engine to start, even with Cranking Timing set at 0, I get significant starter kick back. Literally stops the starter with a tell tale ping.

Yes, I've been through the link on post #5 and completed and rechecked those procedures more than once. It seems like there is plenty of advance timing, but not getting an accurate indication of it, just from the reaction of the engine to the changes I make when trying to sync things up. I have two timing lights both adjustable. I get a non-adjustable and go through it again. Thanks I'll keep you posted.

Have you verified your timing tab TDC matches your piston TDC?