Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speedometer output?

Default Speedometer output?

Is there a way to send a signal from my Terminator X Max to my electronic speedometer? I tried to add it to the outputs, but can’t figure out how to make it work?

See page 41, "Speed Calculation - Enable Speedometer": TerminatorX.pdf (Terminator X Tuning & Datalog View Software User Manual)

Terminator X EFI Software Help Information/Instructions:
    ‒ On the top Toolbar, click "Help" & "Contents". This opens all Help topics.
    ‒ When navigating the Terminator X EFI software, click "Help ?" or the F1 key.
    ...This automatically opens the definitions for that specific parameter.
    TerminatorX.pdf (Terminator X Tuning & Datalog View Software User Manual)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS T/W 11R 205 heads, 232°-244° duration/.623" lift/114° LSA camshaft, 12:1 C/R, TFS R-Series FTI ported intake, BBK 80mm T/B, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 200A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, -6AN fuel system plumbing, Walbro 255 LPH pump, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/3000 RPM converter, B&M Hammer shifter, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 M/T Street Comp tires.

Yes, I was able to enable it. Then in my Pin Map in the "View Outputs" I assigned the Speedo to Output #4, pin B3. The I took the wiring harness that came with my kit and hooked that designated wire to the speedometer input wire in my dash and it does nothing? Am I doing something wrong?

http://forums.holley.com/showthread....0291#post30291 (Speedometer Output Info - Dominator ECU/Transmission ICF)

Originally Posted by Danny Cabral
    FYI: The "Speedometer Output Enable" (Speed Calculation in the Transmission ICF) is used to operate an electronic speedometer
    (Pulses Per Mile signal - LINK), not a VSS. Electronic transmissions already have a VSS. If you're trying to create a stand-alone
    VSS (MPH) signal, do so with a custom speed Input in the Inputs/Outputs ICF (LINK). HP ECU is only compatible with Hall-Effect type VSS.
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....2656#post82656 (Speedometer/VSS Information - Read posts #2, #4 & #6.)

If you're using the Holley 554-140 GPS USB Module with the Digital Dash, and/or need an Odometer:
    http://documents.holley.com/199r10746rev1.pdf (Holley 553-106 Digital Dash Instructions - "Vehicle Tab" & "GPS Speed", Page 11)
    Go to Menu, Configuration, Dash Configuration, Vehicle Tab, and change Speed Input to "GPS Speed" (LINK).

If you're using the electronic transmission's VSS (Transmission ICF) with the Digital Dash, and/or need an Odometer:
    http://documents.holley.com/199r10746rev1.pdf (Holley 553-106 Digital Dash Instructions - "Vehicle Tab" & "Trans Speed", Page 11)
    Go to Menu, Configuration, Dash Configuration, Vehicle Tab, and change Speed Input to "Trans Speed" (LINK).

If you're using a custom created VSS Input from the ECU Inputs/Outputs ICF with the Digital Dash, and/or need an Odometer:
    http://documents.holley.com/199r10746rev1.pdf (Holley 553-106 Digital Dash Instructions - "Vehicle Tab" & "ECU Input", Page 11)
    Go to Menu, Configuration, Dash Configuration, Vehicle Tab, and change Speed Input to "ECU Input" (LINK/LINK).

If you're using a custom VSS Input directly connected into the Digital Dash IO3 or IO4 pins, and/or need an Odometer:
    http://documents.holley.com/199r10746rev1.pdf (Holley 553-106 Digital Dash Instructions - "Vehicle Tab" & "Dash Speed", Page 11)
    Go to Menu, Configuration, Dash Configuration, Vehicle Tab, and change Speed Input to "Dash Speed" (LINK).
    This is the only setting that requires you to enter values in the Local Dash Speed Calculation fields on the Digital Dash.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS T/W 11R 205 heads, 232°-244° duration/.623" lift/114° LSA camshaft, 12:1 C/R, TFS R-Series FTI ported intake, BBK 80mm T/B, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 200A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, -6AN fuel system plumbing, Walbro 255 LPH pump, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/3000 RPM converter, B&M Hammer shifter, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 M/T Street Comp tires.

It depends entirely on the signal that your speedometer is expecting, what kind of vehicle?

I use a Dakota Digital SGI-5E to translate the signal, it can drive both +5 & +12V applications.

Default VSS to Speedo

I wondering how you wired that up. I was looking at it, but not sure it'll work for my setup. I have a '97 Camaro that I LS swapped with T56, running a Terminator X, and trying to use my factory gauges. I have most figured out just not how to get VSS signal to Speedo. The VSS is 2-wire.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglesgijoe View Post
    I have most figured out just not how to get VSS signal to Speedo.
    See post #4 above.

The VSS is 2-wire.
    Read 4th & 5th paragraphs: http://forums.holley.com/showthread....0291#post30291 (Speedometer Output Info - Dominator ECU/Transmission ICF)

I've been battling this same thing for about a month, just figured out the reason behind it this afternoon. Terminator X Max only outputs speedometer (or anything else) as a PWM− signal, so the expected +5V or +12V most aftermarket speedometers expect to see is not there. I'm trying to figure out a way to convert PWM− to PWM+ with a relay or something, but that's why in my case the speedometer doesn't recognize any pulses.

I have a customer with Auto Meter gauges using the Terminator X Max and the speedometer works just fine. The Auto Meter speedometer has a calibration procedure that you have to follow. When we initially installed it, the speedometer appeared to do nothing, but the calibration was so off that it just didn't register speed in any sort of normal range. Make sure that you the Transmission ICF the gear ratio and tire size are programmed properly, then go through the recommended Auto Meter programming procedure. Andrew
    IG @projectgattago
    I offer remote Holley EFI tuning.
    I deliver what EFI promises.
    Please get in touch if I can be of service.

@Andrewb70: Did you guys have it set as PWM‐ or PWM+ or something else?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast