Thread: 600 Holley Issues

Question 600 Holley Issues

I'm new to Holley carbs. I have a Holley 1650-3 600 cfm I rebuilt to put on my 350 Chevy in my Blazer. It will start and run, but it's getting way too much fuel. When you shut the engine down you can watch the fuel drain out of the back bowl onto the rear bores, and the front is also kind of wet as well. The carb only has a metering plate in the rear. Anyone have any suggestions of what to look for?

I'd say your list number is a 1850-3, not 1650, can you check this again please?
    Have you verified the float levels are correct, since it sounds like they're way too high?
    Does this carb have side pivot or center pivot bowls? Gary
    Regards, Gary

Yes, you're right. It's a 1850-3. I had set the float to the specs in the paper that came with the kit. They're side pivot floats. When I had the girlfriend shut off the engine I could watch the fuel running into the rear bores.

OK, so this morning I went out and rechecked the floats no fuel coming out the check holes. Still have the rear bores filling with fuel on shutdown.
    So I assume I have the wrong gasket in the base plate?
    Also, I did take a base throttle plate for from a 1850-2 and put on this 1850-3. Could this be a problem?

Are you checking and adjusting the float level with the engine running?
    The rear metering plate has the steel spacer and two gaskets fitted?
    Regards, Gary

Yes, checking and adjusting the floats while the engine is running. I have to take the bowl off to check the metering plate. I don't believe my metering plate has the metal plate in between, only gaskets.

Did you replace the needle and seats, and the o-rings?
    Here is the steel spacer plate:
    https://www.hotrod.com/articles/conv...ImageId=998432
    Do you mean fuel is pouring from the secondary boosters, when running or after shutdown?
    Sounds like you have the wrong gasket behind the metering plate.
    Gary
    Last edited by Gaz64; 04-06-2020 at 11:29 PM.
    Regards, Gary

Gary. I put a trick kit in the carb, so the needle & seats were changed. I'll have to take it apart again and see if there's metal plate in with the metering plate. The fuel is running out of the float bowl trough the carburetor into the bores through the very small lots in the bores above the butterflies. There's something, the issue is in the float bowl metering plate.

The secondary idle circuit is draining directly from the float bowl, and not going the "up over & down" route that it should take. Wrong main body to spacer gasket, or no spacer plate fitted. Gary
    Regards, Gary