Thread: Couple questions on Sniper.

Cool Couple questions on Sniper.

I'm new to the Sniper EFI and needed help on some relatively basic stuff. When adjusting the A/F Ratio at idle, do I need to have it in Static Timing mode or just generally running? I had vacuum gauge hooked up while adjusting the AFR and I'm curious as to your method on adjusting the balance; spark control on, adjust timing first. Which is a good method for you? Also when setting up the Dual Sync do you have to set it up with 15° of Static Timing or could you choose what you'd like? Anyone else here have an AFR of 13.4 at idle? That seems to be what the engine likes, but I would've thought maybe a little leaner? A lot to learn, but that's why I'm here. Thanks.
    Last edited by big man; 04-05-2020 at 03:28 AM.

The Static Timing is just a temporary, one time function to synchronize the ignition timing. It's not used for tuning. It's used for initial synchronization adjustment.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS T/W 11R 205 heads, 232°-244° duration/.623" lift/114° LSA camshaft, 12:1 C/R, TFS R-Series FTI ported intake, BBK 80mm T/B, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 200A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, -6AN fuel system plumbing, Walbro 255 LPH pump, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/3000 RPM converter, B&M Hammer shifter, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 M/T Street Comp tires.

OK, so just use static timing for timing, got ya. With a vacuum gauge do you adjust AFR at idle until it gives you the best reading and then do the same for timing, until it gives you the best vacuum reading? Just trying to figure out if I'm approaching it the right way. For example, gauge hooked up to full manifold, idle spark off, at idle I adjusted the timing to about 22°, which gave a solid reading at idle. Same thing with the fuel mixture and then turned on Idle Spark control. Done. Is this the way it's done or more importantly how do you do it? New to tuning and I usually do it by ear and feel. Just looking for the right approach before I continue. Thanks.

I've personally never used a vacuum gauge to determine optimum timing or AFR. Doing so usually results in too much timing or too rich AFR.
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....e-Tuning-Notes (EFI Idle Tuning Notes)
    https://forums.holley.com/showthread...8640#post88640 (Target A/F Ratio Table & Base Timing Table Reference)

And by the way, you don't need a vacuum gauge, because the MAP kPa channel in the Data Monitor performs the same task.
    https://forums.holley.com/showthread...4437#post64437 (MAP kPa to inHg (vacuum gauge) to PSIG)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS T/W 11R 205 heads, 232°-244° duration/.623" lift/114° LSA camshaft, 12:1 C/R, TFS R-Series FTI ported intake, BBK 80mm T/B, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 200A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, -6AN fuel system plumbing, Walbro 255 LPH pump, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/3000 RPM converter, B&M Hammer shifter, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 M/T Street Comp tires.

Big man, it's a lot easier if you have a laptop hooked up to the Sniper, since you can then use a mouse to make adjustments while you watch the results on the screen. The easiest thing to do is to just adjust the Target AFR up & down until you find a point where the engine seems to run the best. Do the same with the timing. For a typical muscle car V8 with a performance cam the timing will want to be around 20° and the AFR at idle will be in the mid 13s to low 14s. Some engines want something different though, so you always have to go through the process. With a Sniper it makes more sense to watch the IAC Position and the MAP value, but you can hook up a vacuum gauge if that's what you understand. However, if you're going to be working on EFI systems you should get used to watching the IAC & MAP.