Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fox body Terminator X using Ford IAC hard start fix.

Default Fox body Terminator X using Ford IAC hard start fix.

This may have been noted in this forum, but I've never seen it. Ever since I installed my Fox Terminator X I've had horrible hard start problems. After doing everything known to make sure everything was correct, nothing fixed it. I had to hold the gas to get it to start, and it'd never hold a high idle on cold starts. You have to go on a laptop and go to Pin Map, open "View Outputs " you'll see IAC/PWM in the unassigned box. You have to drag that down to an open slot below. I used slot #4. Now the car fires up like stock! Like I said if this has been mentioned I've never seen it. Comment below if this helps, or if you already seen it in the manual. I read it over & over and finally see it. Hope this helps.

You're right, it doesn't mention the Pin Map, but on page 3, it does state it uses one of the four available Outputs, and exactly which one: https://documents.holley.com/199r11957.pdf (Terminator X '79-'93 Ford Mustang Main Harness Instructions)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS T/W 11R 205 heads, 232°-244° duration/.623" lift/114° LSA camshaft, 12:1 C/R, TFS R-Series FTI ported intake, BBK 80mm T/B, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 200A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, -6AN fuel system plumbing, Walbro 255 LPH pump, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/3000 RPM converter, B&M Hammer shifter, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 M/T Street Comp tires.

It does, but to a lot of people installing Holley EFI for the first time might not understand what that means. I just figured I'd share because a lot of Fox body people are having a hard start issue and this is the fix.

Yes, I agree your post is very helpful. I don't understand why Holley left that IAC up in "Unassigned Outputs".
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS T/W 11R 205 heads, 232°-244° duration/.623" lift/114° LSA camshaft, 12:1 C/R, TFS R-Series FTI ported intake, BBK 80mm T/B, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 200A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, -6AN fuel system plumbing, Walbro 255 LPH pump, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/3000 RPM converter, B&M Hammer shifter, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 M/T Street Comp tires.

Can you do this from the handheld? Mine is hard to start, have to give it about half throttle and when it does start, it surges hard and never idles.

You have to use the EFI software. Andrew
    IG @projectgattago
    I offer remote Holley EFI tuning.
    I deliver what EFI promises.
    Please get in touch if I can be of service.

OK I got on the laptop and drug the IAC to slot 4, but the car will only idle if I adjust the screw in, and it'll idle at 1300 RPM only if I back my throttle screw back out it just surges bad. I've done TPS Autoset. After adjusting on the idle screw. Each time the IAC percentage sets at 0% while idle, if I apply throttle the % will then go up and always settles back at zero. It will not stop at 2%. Please any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Zero IAC Position at hot idle means the IAC cannot command idle any lower. The IAC can’t do anything at this point. Causes are blades to far open or you're getting air from some other source. Zero IAC = too much air, high IAC Position means not enough air. You can block off the IAC hole using tape, etc., and try to adjust your idle down using the set screw. If your idle doesn’t go down, then it’s time to look for leaks. If it does go down, set it where you want then shut off engine and redo TPS cal, fire backup and watch IAC, should be close to 5-10%. Just had a similar issue, did smoke test, etc., found nothing. Pulled intake, there was internal leak at lower intake to gasket.

So if the IAC can't command any lower idle should I close the throttle set screw further? For the IAC to be able to command a lower idle. Could it be my IAC is just old or not functioning properly?

Opening the throttle blades (idle speed screw "in"), decreases the IAC Position at hot idle.
    Closing the throttle blades (idle speed screw "out"), increases the IAC Position at hot idle.
    In the Idle ICF, the "Target Idle Speed (RPM)" must be programmed to the desired RPM speed at hot idle.
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....neral-IAC-Info (General IAC Information - Read "IAC NOTES")

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast