Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Idle help please!

Default Idle help please!

Good Morning! I have an idle question. I've been working diligently on my idle and I'm really happy with the improvements. However, when I start it cold (how cold can it be in Arizona!), the idle tends to roll a bit for the first 10 seconds or so. Before I start making changes to an otherwise good idle, can anyone suggest where I look? Maybe you've experienced this yourself? Here's some pertinent data:
    347 Ford
    Holley TBI
    Target A/F Ratio at idle between 14.2 & 14.6
    Advanced Idle Control is "Slow"
    IAC Parked is 64% at 60°F down to 50% by 100°F on up.
    My idle speed at 60°F is 1100 down to 850 RPM by 140°F.
    My Startup IAC Hold Position is 9 seconds and my Decay Time is 9 seconds.

Like I said, the idle is good other than the slight rolling. Learn Compensation is at -22 to -23, so I may still have some work there. Thanks all for any help.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonTide View Post
    However, when I start it cold (how cold can it be in Arizona!), the idle tends to roll a bit for the first 10 seconds or so.
    Coolant Temperature Enrichment % and A/F Ratio Offset tables: http://forums.holley.com/showthread....6254#post36254 (Good Starting Advice Thread - Especially posts #2, #4 & #6.)

If you take the time to study this, you'll be a startup tuning expert, and read the "TIP" in post #6:
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....6254#post36254 (Good Starting Advice Thread - Especially posts #2, #4 & #6.)

Before I start making changes to an otherwise good idle, can anyone suggest where I look?
    Don't make hot idle changes to fix cooler startup issues.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS T/W 11R 205 heads, 232°-244° duration/.623" lift/114° LSA camshaft, 12:1 C/R, TFS R-Series FTI ported intake, BBK 80mm T/B, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 200A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, -6AN fuel system plumbing, Walbro 255 LPH pump, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/3000 RPM converter, B&M Hammer shifter, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 M/T Street Comp tires.

Danny, I think you recommended a book by Edelbrock if I'm not mistaken. Could you reference that for me please? I can't seem to find your recommendation anywhere.

Read pages 4-10 of this Edelbrock EFI tuning manual, it's very good:
    https://edelbrock-files-v1.s3.amazon...ers-manual.pdf (Edelbrock EFI Tuning Manual)
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS T/W 11R 205 heads, 232°-244° duration/.623" lift/114° LSA camshaft, 12:1 C/R, TFS R-Series FTI ported intake, BBK 80mm T/B, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 200A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, -6AN fuel system plumbing, Walbro 255 LPH pump, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/3000 RPM converter, B&M Hammer shifter, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 M/T Street Comp tires.

Thank you!

You're welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonTide View Post
    Thank you!
    Agreed! Excellent source material for the novice guys like me. Thank you Danny!

Danny, I've been reading your advice on idle control in several threads here. I have a question on Transferring Learning to Base. (Actually, I have a LOT of questions, but this will do for now!) I've driven the car about 50 miles or so under differing conditions and have observed the Learn Table. In the idle and surrounding area, the Learn Table shows approximately -25%. Now, I have what appears to be a very smooth Fuel Graph. Even when I expand just portions of it, it looks really good. The conversion table also looks very good. So, I eventually Transferred Learning to Base and I get a couple issues. First, the edges of the graph when I hit conversion look like a cliff! They all stand straight up on end. Once I smooth the graph back out, I'm back to where I started on the table it seams and the Learn numbers are about -25% again. How important is it I smooth out the conversion side? The fuel graph itself looks good.

By the way, Closed Loop Compensation always looks much closer. Less than -10% in most cases.

Next, you say many times to wait until the Learning stops, then reduce your limits. How do you know when it stops? Mine always seems to show the same Learn numbers no matter how long I drive it. Should my -25% numbers be slowly dropping towards zero as it learns? Or do they just stay around -25%? I'm a bit confused by this.
    Thanks Danny. Enjoy your 4th and be safe!

P.S. Just to clarify, a Learn value of -25% is REMOVING 25% of the Base Fuel Table value. If you have a Base Fuel Table value of 8 lbs/hr, then the learning value means it's reducing it to 6 lbs/hr for that area where the engine is running, right?
    Last edited by CrimsonTide; 07-04-2020 at 10:36 AM.

(Please keep your posts short & concise.) Read this thread three times: http://forums.holley.com/showthread....7370#post47370 (Closed Loop & Learn Table - Especially posts #2, #6 & #11.)

I've read that (and several more) many times. It doesn't answer my question regarding my conversion table look. S2H was able to answer my learning questions in post #16 of that thread.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast