Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Issue going into WOT.

Quote Originally Posted by Permatex.com
    Automobile - Suggested Applications:
    Exhaust manifolds, headers, turbocharger applications, and slip-fit exhaust parts.
    OEM specified. For high operating temperatures common in 4-cylinder, turbocharged or high-performance engines.
    The most advanced, high temp RTV silicone gasket available. Sensor-safe, low odor, noncorrosive. Superior adhesion.
    Three times more oil resistant than conventional silicones; eight times more flexible than cut gaskets.
    Temperature range -65°F to 700°F (-54°C to 371°C) intermittent; resists auto and shop fluids and vibration.
    Permatex Ultra Copper Maximum Temperature RTV Silicone Gasket Maker. (The sensor safe, maximum high temperature RTV silicone made for exhaust.) This is their best stuff: LINK.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS T/W 11R 205 heads, 232°-244° duration/.623" lift/114° LSA camshaft, 12:1 C/R, TFS R-Series FTI ported intake, BBK 80mm T/B, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 200A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, -6AN fuel system plumbing, Walbro 255 LPH pump, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/3000 RPM converter, B&M Hammer shifter, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 M/T Street Comp tires.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Cabral View Post
    Permatex Ultra Copper Maximum Temperature RTV Silicone Gasket Maker. (The sensor safe, maximum high temperature RTV silicone made for exhaust.) This is their best stuff: LINK.
    I just did mine today with this stuff. It was a pain to do. I have those Hedman LS headers that has all four tubes that slip into collectors. Letting it set up overnight. Hopefully they seal up. Thanks.

You're welcome. It seals very good when applied properly.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS T/W 11R 205 heads, 232°-244° duration/.623" lift/114° LSA camshaft, 12:1 C/R, TFS R-Series FTI ported intake, BBK 80mm T/B, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 200A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, -6AN fuel system plumbing, Walbro 255 LPH pump, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/3000 RPM converter, B&M Hammer shifter, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 M/T Street Comp tires.

Thought I should update status of this issue. I sealed the header tubes up with the Permatex Ultra Copper. Made a huge difference in performance and engine ran much better. Bad part is they didn't stay sealed up and started to run poor again. I've come to the conclusion that I'll have to find a different header in order to proceed. I could not find any fully welded long tube headers for this truck. May have to go to a mid-length header. Thanks for suggestions everyone gave me for figuring this problem out.

What about something like this? Before you go replacing the whole header system. Or is it possible to have a shop weld it for you?
    https://m.autozone.com/sealants-glue...ast/435518_0_0

Worth a shot to try the paste as long as it doesn't keep me from ever having to take headers apart to get them out.
    Welding is not an option because of the the way two of the tubes go outside the frame. Thanks for suggestion.
    Last edited by z2812b; 04-28-2020 at 04:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by z2812b View Post
    I sealed the header tubes up with the Permatex Ultra Copper. Made a huge difference in performance and engine ran much better. Bad part is they didn't stay sealed up and started to run poor again.
    You can't just smear the Permatex Ultra Copper Maximum Temperature RTV Silicone Gasket Maker around the outside of the slip-on tube connections. It must be applied to the clean disassembled header tubes, then slipped together.

I did pull the collectors off sanded outside of all 8 tubes and inside collectors cleaned with lacquer thinner and and put a bead of the stuff in all 8 holes so when all 8 tubes slid back into collectors, it would push the bead in.
    Last edited by z2812b; 04-28-2020 at 05:07 PM.

And it still failed...I guess you have hot headers.

It might be less expensive to have an expert build you a tune that uses Open Loop at low speed and Closed Loop at higher engine speeds. I'd try that before I bought new headers.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12