Thread: Ford AOD Overdrive

Default Ford AOD Overdrive

Looking for some direction on wiring this into my Holley EFI. I run a Ford AOD transmission which looks for 12 volts to engage. Would like to use a momentary switch and have the Holley turn on the overdrive. Currently, I use the brakes and the O/D 12 volts will de-energize. Thanks.
    SICKFOX

I have a LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD (fully automatic/gearshift selectable 1st, 2nd & 3rd) with a Billet Automotive Buttons 19SGL overdrive pushbutton switch, and an Overdrive Delete Holley EFI output (MAP/TPS based override). I'm doing something a little different, but I can explain more later if necessary.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS T/W 11R 205 heads, 232°-244° duration/.623" lift/114° LSA camshaft, 12:1 C/R, TFS R-Series FTI ported intake, BBK 80mm T/B, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 200A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, -6AN fuel system plumbing, Walbro 255 LPH pump, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/3000 RPM converter, B&M Hammer shifter, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 M/T Street Comp tires.

Danny, it looks like instead of using the brake switch as an input, I can utilize the TPS to disengage the O/D when I write the logic, makes sense.

I'm familiar with the buttons your referring too, but would like to use a momentary switch already on the car. Like my disconnected rear defogger or cruise control buttons, all momentary switches.

So can the Holley receive a short 12 volts from a momentary switch, engage O/D, disengage O/D when TPS is around 10%. Looking for a guidance with this approach. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Sickfox View Post
    Danny, it looks like instead of using the brake switch as an input, I can utilize the TPS to disengage the O/D when I write the logic, makes sense.
    Yes, agreed.

I'm familiar with the buttons your referring too, but would like to use a momentary switch already on the car. Like my disconnected rear defogger or cruise control buttons, all momentary switches.
    Depending on which transmission valve body you have, the Holley EFI I/O should be able to completely control the 4th gear overdrive.

So can the Holley receive a short 12 volts from a momentary switch, engage O/D, disengage O/D when TPS is around 10%. Looking for a guidance with this approach. Thanks.
    Yes, it should be possible with the new V5 EFI software "At Input Release" Switched Input Triggers option in the Outputs screen - Inputs/Outputs ICF. However, you'll also need to create an Input, so it can be selected as a Switched Input Trigger with the "At Input Release" drop down option in the Outputs screen.
    https://forums.holley.com/showthread...234#post109234 (Additional Information - "At Input Release" functions.)

Yes, the rear window defrost switch is momentary, but the defrost control relay is a timed (10 minute cycle) latching relay (solid state circuitry).
    Originally Posted by '92 Ford EVTM (Electrical & Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual)
    How The Circuit Works:
    With the Ignition Switch in RUN, the Rear Window Defrost Switch is powered through Fuse 5.

Pressing the Rear Window Defrost Switch ON closes the contacts of the Rear Window Defrost Control Relay and starts the 10 minute (approximate) timing cycle. Current now flows to the Rear Window Defrost Grid. When the Rear Window Defrost Switch is released from ON, the solid state circuitry keeps the defrost relay coil energized.

Pressing the Rear Window Defrost Switch OFF turns off the defrost relay. This removes power from the Rear Window Defrost circuit.

If the OFF switch is not pressed, power remains on until the time delay runs out. Then the coil turns off and removes power from the Rear Window Defrost Grid circuit.
    https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-for.../#post-8990310 (Good Forum Post - Fox Mustang Rear Window Defrost Operation)
    Originally Posted by '92 Mustang Service Manual Table of Contents
    Group 01: BODY
    Section 01-11: Glass Frames & Mechanisms

DESCRIPTION AND OPERATION:
    The heated rear window defroster system consists of a switch assembly mounted on the instrument panel, a relay/timer mounted in the instrument panel, and a series of grid lines baked on the inside surface of the rear window and system wiring. The grid lines consist of two layers. The first layer is brown in color as viewed from the exterior, and the second layer is silver in color as viewed from the interior.

The switch assembly has a lever, spring-loaded to center position, to turn the system on or off. A timer-controlled relay turns the system off automatically after approximately 10 minutes of operation. If more than 10 minutes are required, the system can be reactivated for another 10 minutes by pushing the lever momentarily to the ON position. This operation can be repeated as required.

When the lever is pushed to the ON position, the normally open contacts in the relay/timer are electrically closed, thus providing power from battery to the heated rear window grids, the indicator and also triggering the timing circuit. This contact will remain closed until the timer turns it off, the lever is pushed momentarily to the OFF position, or the ignition switch is turned to the OFF position.

Power for the rear window grids, and the indicator is supplied directly from the battery side of the starter motor relay through a fuse link which protects the circuit.

Power for the control timer comes from the accessory terminal of the ignition switch. This power is available whenever the ignition switch is in the RUN position. This circuit is protected by a fuse, located in the fuse panel.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS T/W 11R 205 heads, 232°-244° duration/.623" lift/114° LSA camshaft, 12:1 C/R, TFS R-Series FTI ported intake, BBK 80mm T/B, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 200A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, -6AN fuel system plumbing, Walbro 255 LPH pump, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/3000 RPM converter, B&M Hammer shifter, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 M/T Street Comp tires.

Danny, my AOD has a manual valve body. So me controlling O/D would work the best. Reason I'm doing this is sometime in O/D I might forget it's there when I accelerate, and making boost in O/D would not be good. I'm running V4 right now. Is there an I/O you would suggest for the momentary 12V signal? Thanks.
    SICKFOX

Quote Originally Posted by Sickfox View Post
    Danny, my AOD has a manual valve body. So me controlling O/D would work the best.
    Yes, the Holley EFI I/O should be able to completely control the 4th gear overdrive.

Reason I'm doing this is sometime in O/D I might forget it's there when I accelerate, and making boost in O/D would not be good.
    Yes, that's exactly what my MAP/TPS based override output does. The +12V switch engages overdrive, correct?

I'm running V4 right now. Is there an I/O you would suggest for the momentary 12V signal? Thanks.
    No, that momentary signal (At Input Release) capability wasn't added until V5, hence the third paragraph in post #4.
    However, I added some pertinent information to post #4, in case 10 minute timed cycles (O/D) are deemed acceptable.