Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Davis Technologies Vehicle Position Sensor

Default Davis Technologies Vehicle Position Sensor

I'm working on a VPS installation. I bought a VPS and Remote Display. This could be a very cool tuning tool.

I'm not able to get the Live Gyroscope to reading to match Holley Dash. The Davis Live reading are somewhat consistent. The Holley readings are off by a factor of 100. As an example, 1 degree on DT Live might be -.15. The next test it's +.05 degrees.

I've checked the wiring and setup. I've run Self Test and the gauges on Holley dash match the values on DT display.

It's as if there is a "filter" in the DT unit, limiting or scrabbling the output signals. Thanks.

I've wondered about how these things are powered & grounded. Normally something that outputs a 5V signal needs an ECU ground reference for accurate 5V signal, but the Davis VPS unit does not require that.

Is the ground of your Davis VPS unit direct to battery? If not, try that. Same spot as the Holley ECU ground, which I hope is direct to battery.

Good idea! Davis's wiring instruction went into great detail. I thought they would've covered this and I forgot. Yes, Holley ECU is ground to/on the battery. I've run pressure and vacuum sensors, + & -, to Holley outputs with success. I'll change the VPS + & - to Holley outputs and report back. Thank you.

I'm not sure if the Outputs will handle that much amp draw.

Quote Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
    I'm not sure if the Outputs will handle that much amp draw.
    Reporting back: I connected + & - to ECU outputs. Measure 0.5 DC amp draw.

The good: It responds much better. It has an input tester that works different than before. The Holley gauges are more responsive. The 3 axis G meters are working more quickly. I don't have an engine in the car at the moment and tracks being closed. So no test data on the Virtual Time Slip feature.

The bad: The Holley gauges still do not follow the VPS Live readings. Not even close. I'm guessing Davis requires folks to buy their Wheelie module that unlocks the Pitch, Roll, Yawl features.

I'll contact Davis Monday and report...ugh.

I got Shannon Davis on the phone. He explained how to put the VPS in Fusion mod when setting up in the shop.

It works just like advertised. And I calibrated Holley to Davis VPS Live setting.

The Holley 12V output stopped working. I'll test to see if I hurt the ECU. I checked the load, still under 0.5 amps.

This device is a 3 axis G meter and 3 axis position sensor. I'll use the position sensor for wheelie control and tuning the suspension.

Shannon said they were working on a new/better set of instructions. Yeah.
    Last edited by HRH; 03-30-2020 at 09:23 PM.

Using this VPS for wheelie control. I assume you added the pitch & yaw options? Or does pitch and yaw come standard and his wheelie control programing is what is an option. I wasn't sure after looking at his website.
    Last edited by BoostedCP; 03-31-2020 at 02:16 PM.

Ah, you were comparing raw data vs fusion data.

Quote Originally Posted by BoostedCP View Post
    Using this VPS for wheelie control. I assume you added the pitch & yaw options? Or does pitch and yaw come standard and his wheelie control programing is what is an option. I wasn't sure after looking at his website.
    VPS has has 6 outputs to choose from: Pitch, Roll, Yaw, G Meter in X,Y,Z. It has only 5 outputs.
    I choose: Pitch, Roll, Yaw, G Meter, X & Y.
    Thee are some good YouTube videos how to setup a calibration and timing tables.

Quote Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
    Ah, you were comparing raw data vs fusion data.
    Yep, Fusion for shop tuning and turn it off at the track.
    It's a slick device. I hope this works rather than carry the weight of wheelie bars.

That all depends on you really, what your goals are and how you're going to accomplish them. The virtual timeslip can also be very useful depending on what you're doing. Street guys love it. Super accurate.

It integrates with Holley nicely, and you have Advanced Tables to do just about anything you want. You can pull timing or dwell compared to pitch.

I do a lot of math heavy stuff with G-meters. I will tell you this, the VPS needs the least corrections - if any - out of anything out there. Racepak data is just about useless in comparison.
    Last edited by allan5oh; 04-02-2020 at 03:21 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast