Thread: Fuel pump relay "clicks" when hooking up battery.

Default Fuel pump relay "clicks" when hooking up battery.

Just finished up wiring my Super Sniper Stealth 650 this week-end, Saturday. I have a dual terminal battery. I have the engine's positive and negative cables on top, Sniper will hook up on side. I have not hooked up the Sniper's negative wire yet, positive is hooked to battery. When I finished the wiring, I hooked up the negative battery cable and hear the fuel pump relay "click" and my electric fans came on. I disconnected the blue wire to the fan, and hooked the negative battery cable to battery again. I still can hear the relay click. Now, Sunday. I disconnected and reconnected negative battery cable a dozen or so times. Maybe 1 out of 5 times does the fuel pump relay click. I still don't have the negative to the Sniper unit hooked to the battery. The relay only clicks for a second or two, then seems OK. I don't understand how the Sniper relay can click when the Sniper isn't yet hooked up. Normal or not? Thanks in advance, Jeff Parker

I don't have the Sniper EFI, but does the system relay have its own separate ground wire? (The Terminator, HP & Dominator EFI system relays do.) Doesn't the Sniper EFI operate normally with the negative battery cable connected?
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS T/W 11R 205 heads, 232°-244° duration/.623" lift/114° LSA camshaft, 12:1 C/R, TFS R-Series FTI ported intake, BBK 80mm T/B, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 200A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, -6AN fuel system plumbing, Walbro 255 LPH pump, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/3000 RPM converter, B&M Hammer shifter, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 M/T Street Comp tires.

What I think is happening is the Sniper grounding through the body itself. If you disconnect the negative terminal on top and hookup the Sniper on the side terminals, then hook up the two top terminals you should be OK. I noticed the same thing when helping a friend install a Sniper, the Sniper along with lots of electronic equipment must have good grounds or the ECU can do strange things. Hope this helps you. Joey.S
    Last edited by Joey.S; 03-22-2020 at 08:09 PM.

Danny & Joey, thanks for the responses. I think Joey's explanation is spot on. I have grounded everything (frame, body, dash, etc.) so the Sniper relay may be getting a ground that way. I'll try Joey's hookup suggestion Monday, I'll post back as to what happens. Thanks again! Jeff

I had a similar issue and some people report the IAC cycling with the engine off. Both are grounding issues. I fixed mine by installing a ground from the trunk mount battery directly to the engine block.
    69 Camaro
    400 SBC, ProCharger D1SC
    1.302 60', 5.95@116.4 on pump gas

Thanks, Joey! I did as you suggested. I first hooked the + of the Sniper to the battery, then the - (it did give very small spark on the negative hookup), then hooked the battery + then the -. No clicking or fan operation. Sniper handheld powered up normally. Thanks again! Jeff

I'm glad you solved your problem, Take care. Joey.S