Thread: Possible software/computer issue?

Default Possible software/computer issue?

Hi all. On my computer when I'm messing with the tune, the screen will randomly go black, but only in the areas like the Base Fuel Table and Base Timing Table, etc., not the complete screen. Mostly just the parts with the numbers. Once clicked and opened again it shows right backup, but will go black at some point again. Anyone seen this before?

http://forums.holley.com/showthread....2193#post72193 (EFI Software/ECU Firmware Problems)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS T/W 11R 205 heads, 232°-244° duration/.623" lift/114° LSA camshaft, 12:1 C/R, TFS R-Series FTI ported intake, BBK 80mm T/B, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 200A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, -6AN fuel system plumbing, Walbro 255 LPH pump, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/3000 RPM converter, B&M Hammer shifter, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 M/T Street Comp tires.

Quote Originally Posted by P.Lafferty View Post
    Hi all. On my computer when I'm messing with the tune, the screen will randomly go black, but only in the areas like the Base Fuel Table and Base Timing Table, etc., not the complete screen. Mostly just the parts with the numbers. Once clicked and opened again it shows right backup, but will go black at some point again. Anyone seen this before?
    Yes, my laptop does that. My desktop computer never has that problem, but the laptop does. There are a lot of little weird issues that I run into with the Holley software working one way on one system and another way on a different system. I don't even try to fix that stuff anymore since it just pops back up. I'm not sure how much of it's due to Holley SW and how much is a Windows issue. My laptop will be fine and then it starts acting weird. Since Microsoft is always sending new updates out I suspect that different updates might start or solve different issues.

OK, just tried that twice and updated to 5V and still does the same deal. I wonder if this laptop doesn’t like to jive with it or something.

Correct. My laptop has the latest software on it and it blacks out once in a while. It isn't a Holley SW version thing, it's deeper than that. Like I posted above, my desktop never has the problem, but the laptop does. That leads me to think it's some sort of graphics card issue or something like that.

Cool thanks AndyF. Thanks for confirming I’m not too Carly on this deal! It’s been like that for three years now and I never messed with it. I thought I'd give it a shot.

Make sure your laptop has the latest upgrades from Microsoft. If you have a desktop computer in the house or another laptop download the software to that PC and see what happens. I bet you'll find that a different PC acts differently with the same V5 software.

My desktop computer will not save changes to the Data Monitor, but my laptop can be customized without any problems. Different systems just act differently for some unknown reason. When you have complex software reacting to another complex software package the results are sometimes unpredictable.