New to the Terminator with tuning issues?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SCC2560
    • Jul 2019

New to the Terminator with tuning issues?

Hello all, great forum. I'm new to the whole EFI set up and of course when I stepped into the EFI world I had to go big and did the Holley Terminator Stealth with transmission control.

So, my question is I installed the Terminator in my truck (Mild 383 SBC with 4L80E transmission). I did the setup Wizard and fired it up. Ran great right off the bat. Couple of small issues (almost stalling going into gear), but overall really nice. As time went on and it started to learn it slowly got worse and worse. Has plenty of power, but it was acting like it was chugging down the road, maybe too much fuel or bad spark plug wire. So I tested all my wires, checked all the plugs and even went as far as changing out my MSD distributor to a GM small cap HEI to get the timing control. I went through the Wizard again and fired it up! Ran great, idle was even better than before! Still almost stalling going into gear though, but as time went on it starts doing the same thing again. Changed my WBO2 sensor, even put it on the other bank just to see if it would make a difference. Ran through the Wizard again, ran great, but as time goes on, poop! Checked the plugs after a few miles of driving, and they seem to be running a bit rich, so started playing with the Learn Table. Started leaning it out. Seem to help for a while but again after time back to the same old stuff. Not really sure what I'm doing wrong, software/hardware issue? Any guidance would greatly be appreciated.

Sorry I know long question/explanation. Not really sure how to relay my problem. New to the EFI world. I can try to send my Global File to someone who could see what I'm doing wrong or have some direction. Thanks to everyone's support!
  • Danny Cabral
    Administrator
    • Dec 2009

Originally posted by SCC2560 View Post
    ...they seem to be running a bit rich, so started playing with the Learn Table. Started leaning it out.
    So stop "playing with the Learn Table", and ensure your Target Air/Fuel Ratio table is programmed properly.

Seem to help for a while but again after time back to the same old stuff.
    It seems your engine doesn't like your Target Air/Fuel Ratio table.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385"/6.3L SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, Eagle 3.470" forged steel crankshaft & H-beam rods, Wiseco 4.200" forged pistons, Trick Flow Twisted Wedge 11R 205 CNC Comp Ported heads, 12:1 compression ratio, 232°-244° duration/.623" lift/114° LSA H/R camshaft, Trick Flow R-Series FTI Comp Ported intake, BBK 80mm throttle body, Holley Dominator MPFI & DIS, Holley 36-1 crank trigger, MSD 1x cam sync, PA PMGR starter, PA 200A 3G alternator, Optima 34/78 Red battery, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, R134a A/C, Spal Dual 12" HP 3168 CFM fans, Frostbite 3-core aluminum radiator, Pypes SS dual 2.5" exhaust, SS off-road X-pipe, SS shorty headers, OEM smog pump converted vacuum pump, Earl's -6AN fuel system plumbing, Walbro 255 LPH in-tank pump & Pro-M -6AN hanger, S&W subframe connectors, BMR upper & lower torque box reinforcements, highly modified Ford 4R70W transmission, FTI 9.5"/3000 stall/triple disc TCC, B&M Hammer shifter, Stifflers trans crossmember & driveshaft safety loop, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.73 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 M/T Street Comp tires.

Comment

• SCC2560
      • Jul 2019

Thank you for the response. So, not sure how to make sure my table is programed correctly. Still new to the whole EFI thing. Should I start fresh with the Wizard again? Cause I've messed quite a bit with the settings.

Comment

• Danny Cabral
        Administrator
        • Dec 2009

Should I start fresh with the Wizard again?
        No, I'm referring to the Holley EFI PC/laptop software (LINK).

Cause I've messed quite a bit with the settings.
        If you're still messing with the 3.5" TSLCD handheld controller, you haven't even begun tuning.
        https://forums.holley.com/showthread...8640#post88640 (Target A/F Ratio Table & Base Timing Table Reference)
        '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385"/6.3L SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, Eagle 3.470" forged steel crankshaft & H-beam rods, Wiseco 4.200" forged pistons, Trick Flow Twisted Wedge 11R 205 CNC Comp Ported heads, 12:1 compression ratio, 232°-244° duration/.623" lift/114° LSA H/R camshaft, Trick Flow R-Series FTI Comp Ported intake, BBK 80mm throttle body, Holley Dominator MPFI & DIS, Holley 36-1 crank trigger, MSD 1x cam sync, PA PMGR starter, PA 200A 3G alternator, Optima 34/78 Red battery, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, R134a A/C, Spal Dual 12" HP 3168 CFM fans, Frostbite 3-core aluminum radiator, Pypes SS dual 2.5" exhaust, SS off-road X-pipe, SS shorty headers, OEM smog pump converted vacuum pump, Earl's -6AN fuel system plumbing, Walbro 255 LPH in-tank pump & Pro-M -6AN hanger, S&W subframe connectors, BMR upper & lower torque box reinforcements, highly modified Ford 4R70W transmission, FTI 9.5"/3000 stall/triple disc TCC, B&M Hammer shifter, Stifflers trans crossmember & driveshaft safety loop, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.73 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 M/T Street Comp tires.

Comment

• SCC2560
          • Jul 2019

Awesome, thank you for the links. And I read the articles. Good stuff. Looking at your tables vs. what I got, (even though I know our engines are totally setup different) mine looks like a hot mess, I'll have to work on it. I saw you mentioned in another thread about running a 1" open spacer if you're running a dual-plane manifold (which I am)? Do you think that might help some of my tuning issues?

Comment

• Danny Cabral
            Administrator
            • Dec 2009

Awesome, thank you for the links. And I read the articles. Good stuff.
            You're welcome.

I saw you mentioned in another thread about running a 1" open spacer if you're running a dual-plane manifold (which I am)? Do you think that might help some of my tuning issues?
            You tell me by trying it.

Comment

• SCC2560
              • Jul 2019

I'll give it a try and let you know!

Comment

• SCC2560
                • Jul 2019

Got the EFI software loaded on my laptop and started playing with the Target A/F Ratio. Made a big difference! Looks like I was running really rich. Truck runs so much smoother now and isn't fowling up the plugs anymore. It took care of the chugging problem. Actually feels light on its feet and really responsive. I skipped the spacer since it worked so well. So, thank you again for the info.

A couple of things I hope I'm doing right? So, I'm running a Holley retro in-tank fuel pump (returnless) P/N #12-131. And I'm getting 61 psi right before the throttle body, key-on/engine-off, so I entered it into the EFI software as 61 actual psi? Is that OK pressure for a Terminator P/N #550-445 on a mild 383 (maybe 425-450 HP at best)?

Comment

• Danny Cabral
                  Administrator
                  • Dec 2009

And I'm getting 61 psi right before the throttle body, key-on/engine-off, so I entered it into the EFI software as 61 actual psi?
                  Yes: http://forums.holley.com/showthread....ents-Read-This (Initial Checks & Adjustments - Read Step #2)

Is that OK pressure for a Terminator P/N #550-445 on a mild 383 (maybe 425-450 HP at best)?
                  Yes, the Terminator EFI fuel pressure can be run at 60 psi.

Comment

Working...
                  X