Thread: Plug Reading

Default Plug Reading

I probably shouldn't post this. I know I'll get 100 different comments, but hey it's been a good year so far. This is my first 1000 miles with the new Dominator. Stats:
    400 SBC Dart Block .040" over (409)
    6" inch Connecting Rods
    3.75" Stroke
    1-3/4 Headman long tube
    3" Pypes dual exhaust
    11.2:1 Compression
    220 AFR 62cc <-- Paid for the extra CC
    Dominator EFI multi-port fire 1000 CFM

The car prior to the 220 AFR and Dominator dynoed at 543HP and 520FT/lbs at the crank.
    Here are the plugs. What are your thoughts? This was after a 45 minute drive and a 7K blast in 2nd & 3rd.

Last edited by czizza; 04-10-2020 at 01:56 PM.

You should learn how to read them yourself. Just a general FYI:
    "Spark plug reading" for performance tuning purposes is not the
    same as "spark plug inspection" for general maintenance/repair.
    There's a significant difference between the two.
    http://www.dragstuff.com/techarticle...ead-plugs.html
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiMM2S0aADM
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4cdCTAnwFE
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS T/W 11R 205 heads, 232°-244° duration/.623" lift/114° LSA camshaft, 12:1 C/R, TFS R-Series FTI ported intake, BBK 80mm T/B, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 200A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, -6AN fuel system plumbing, Walbro 255 LPH pump, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/3000 RPM converter, B&M Hammer shifter, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 M/T Street Comp tires.

Pump gas I assume? Pump gas is hard to read since it makes so much soot. Plugs look fine to me, but kind of hard to see much detail in that picture. Why did you pull the plugs? Don't you trust your AFR numbers?

Yes, I have an Innovate WBO2 (I plan on upgrading to dual WBO2) and the Holley WBO2. They run almost the same at idle, but when I'm on the highway the Innovate hits 15 AFR, when the Holley is around high 13 to 14 AFR. It probably is two different calibrations & types, but was checking. I had the Innovate in the car for about four years.

Plugs look fine. Trust the Holley WBO2 numbers and run it!

I agree with AndyF & Fastmanefi.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS T/W 11R 205 heads, 232°-244° duration/.623" lift/114° LSA camshaft, 12:1 C/R, TFS R-Series FTI ported intake, BBK 80mm T/B, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 200A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, -6AN fuel system plumbing, Walbro 255 LPH pump, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/3000 RPM converter, B&M Hammer shifter, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 M/T Street Comp tires.

A man with two watches never knows what time it is.

When I first had my Dominator setup it only had the standard single wideband O2 sensor and it ran great. Then I got tricky and added a second wideband O2 sensor in the right side. I also picked Average for the sensors since that seemed like a good idea. Now when I drive the car the right side reads about 0.5 point less than the left side and I don't know what do to. Which side is correct? Should I go back to using the left side to control the engine or continue to average? Sometimes more data isn't helpful.

My (street) vehicles benefited greatly from dual WBO2 sensors (programmed to "Average"). The left & right bank AFR ratios are almost identical at WOT, but they differ at idle & cruising RPM.
    https://forums.holley.com/showthread...5480#post45480 (Additional Information - Related Forum Post)

Just ordered my dual WBO2 kit, CAN Bus adapter and Gauge for my cockpit area. I should have it all on Friday, then new plugs and more testing.

Quote Originally Posted by czizza View Post
    Yes, I have an Innovate WBO2 (I plan on upgrading to dual WBO2) and the Holley WBO2. They run almost the same at idle, but when I'm on the highway the Innovate hits 15 AFR, when the Holley is around high 13 to 14 AFR. It probably is two different calibrations & types, but was checking. I had the Innovate in the car for about four years.
    I have the same Innovate/Holley WBO2 setup but mine's the opposite. The Innovate always reads richer, sometimes by a full ratio. I've given up on the Innovate, I don't trust it. As for the plugs in the OP: They look perfect to me.