Thread: Cranking voltage for 6AL2 programmable.

Default Cranking voltage for 6AL2 programmable.

I'm having the same issue that I'm seeing a lot of other people are having with the double flash of the LED indicating low voltage. I see the same response from the tech guys asking what the cranking voltage is, but never see what the voltage should be and where to check it at. What should that voltage be and where should it be checked from, Switched +12V, the battery, or both?

There should be minimum 10 volts on both, heavy red, and small red while cranking. You could have low voltage on the small red while cranking, which is a common wiring or vehicle fault. Gary
    Regards, Gary

Would low voltage cause the box to not trigger the coil for a spark test?

The box is programmed for low voltage input, and at that point the box won't function.
    Does it function as a spark test, key on/engine off?
    It it does this test OK, then does it have spark cranking?
    I'd pull the distributor and spin it as the trigger, proving everything in one go.
    Except whether your ignition switch drops out the 12V red wire while cranking. Gary
    Regards, Gary

I'm currently running the HVC 2 coil (8253) and when I go to spark check I'll get one spark and that's it. I won't get another spark unless I key off then key back on again then then still only get one spark. I bought another coil and have the same issue. I threw an old Mallory coil on and it passes the spark test, but still won't fire the engine when cranking.

Can you get repetitive sparks during the test with the Mallory coil?
    And if this is a 6530, have you read all the instructions, the engine is static timed correctly, and rotor phasing has been addressed? Gary
    Regards, Gary