Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smart Coils & Spark Plug Wires

Default Smart Coils & Spark Plug Wires

This may seem like a simple issue to resolve, but I'm in search of spark plug wires to run with my smart coils. It's on a big block Chevy and I mounted the coils on the valve covers. The problem I'm running into is the smart coils have a HEI type terminal, but all the plug wires available for LSx style engines have a female terminal so they won't work with the smart coils.

If I go to a standard universal style plug wire like a MSD Super Conductor, the distributor boots are 90°, which won't work with the coils on the valve covers. What I'm looking for are a set of universal wires that have straight or slightly bent distributor boots with HEI sockets.

If I can't find what I'm looking for, I was thinking about combining the MSD #31189 wire set with the MSD #33048 boot kit and just use the HEI terminals with the LS type boots. Any suggestions or part numbers would be appreciated. Thanks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200226_175940.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	101.7 KB 
ID:	9253
    Herb
    '66 El Camino, 408LS/T56
    '66 Chevelle, 509/T56
    '63 C10, 454/4L80E

I've never any problem with MSD 8.5mm Super Conductor spark plug wires. Holley EFI users also have great service with FireCore50 spark plug wires. Also, FireCore50 spark plug wire sets are known to transmit far less electrical interference than others (low resistance and impregnated with ferrite molecular compound used to absorb RFI/EMI).

FireCore50 can custom make your spark plug wires. Probably use your current wire set (if they're the correct configuration). Or you can use the MSD 8.5mm Super Conductor bulk wire roll, terminals & plug boots. The bulk ignition wire & terminal kit options are available separately (LINK).
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS T/W 11R 205 heads, 232°-244° duration/.623" lift/114° LSA camshaft, 12:1 C/R, TFS R-Series FTI ported intake, BBK 80mm T/B, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 200A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, -6AN fuel system plumbing, Walbro 255 LPH pump, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/3000 RPM converter, B&M Hammer shifter, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 M/T Street Comp tires.

Yelcamino, your engine is VERY cool looking. Can I ask where you got those valve covers? I'm looking to use the CNP and have been trying to find valve covers that would work with the Holley Brackets. Any chance you can tell me how wide those brackets are? I haven't been able to find that measurement. Thanks!

Danny, I've never had any issues with MSD Super Conductor wires either. In fact, that's my go to wire. The current issue isn't with the wires, it's that I can't find any with straight distributor boots to work with the smart coils on the valve covers.

Thanks Mike! The valve covers are generic fabricated, I forget which brand. I welded aluminum stand offs (McMaster-Carr) on them to mount the brackets. I also welded the fill cap on. I think the bolt spacing is 4". I'll check to make sure.
    Herb
    '66 El Camino, 408LS/T56
    '66 Chevelle, 509/T56
    '63 C10, 454/4L80E

Quote Originally Posted by yelcamino View Post
    Danny, I've never had any issues with MSD Super Conductor wires either. In fact, that's my go to wire. The current issue isn't with the wires, it's that I can't find any with straight distributor boots to work with the smart coils on the valve covers.
    As I stated, contact FireCore50.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS T/W 11R 205 heads, 232°-244° duration/.623" lift/114° LSA camshaft, 12:1 C/R, TFS R-Series FTI ported intake, BBK 80mm T/B, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 200A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, -6AN fuel system plumbing, Walbro 255 LPH pump, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/3000 RPM converter, B&M Hammer shifter, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 M/T Street Comp tires.

Quote Originally Posted by yelcamino View Post
    Thanks Mike! The valve covers are generic fabricated, I forget which brand. I welded aluminum stand offs (McMaster-Carr) on them to mount the brackets. I also welded the fill cap on. I think the bolt spacing is 4". I'll check to make sure.
    Awesome thanks, I have been looking for a SBC Valve Cover (non-LSx) that I can mount the coils on. Does not look like anyone makes one. I have been trying to figure out if the Holley Coils bracket that you're using will fit on a SBC cover, but I'm not sure of the dimensions. An internet search says about 13.5" long by about 5" wide, but I have not seen one in person to check. Any chance you can confirm that those are close? Thanks!

They look like Billet Fabrication valve covers.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Cabral View Post
    As I stated, contact FireCore50.
    I did. I'm waiting for a response. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
    Any chance you can confirm that those are close? Thanks!
    Here you go:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Holley_561-131.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	52.4 KB 
ID:	9256
    Herb
    '66 El Camino, 408LS/T56
    '66 Chevelle, 509/T56
    '63 C10, 454/4L80E

AWESOME Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Cabral View Post
    They look like Billet Fabrication valve covers.
    They could be, but it's been so long since I bought them, I don't know! LOL.
    Herb
    '66 El Camino, 408LS/T56
    '66 Chevelle, 509/T56
    '63 C10, 454/4L80E

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast