Thread: WBO2 sensor location for BBC? Drivers side or pass side?

Default WBO2 sensor location for BBC? Drivers side or pass side?

Edelbrock Performer RPM Air-Gap intake. 1/2" thick 4-hole spacer. Wiring routing is similarly 'easy'. Room for sensor is similar. I understand the position relative to the collector and relative to centerline of the pipe it's going in, but is there any reason to pick one bank vs the other? Does the fact that a BBC fires #5 & #7 back to back influence which side to pick? Like I said, there's no 'packaging' reason to pick one side over the other, so I figured I'd ask if there was science that could help. Does it matter? Thanks!

If your engine is healthy and all cylinders are firing as they should, then it does not matter which side you choose.

It better be healthy! About the only thing not new is the block (now .060" over), the crank and the connecting rods. It's been a spendy 'refresh'.

I can understand that. Just make sure the exhaust is good and sealed with no leaks and you'll be fine.

It doesn't matter which side, but if you're having a muffler shop weld a bung into the head pipe then pay a little bit extra and have them weld a bung on each side. That way you can move the sensor from side to side in case you ever need to.

Quote Originally Posted by Rumblefish View Post
    Edelbrock Performer RPM Air-Gap intake. 1/2" thick 4-hole spacer. Wiring routing is similarly 'easy'. Room for sensor is similar. I understand the position relative to the collector and relative to centerline of the pipe it's going in, but is there any reason to pick one bank vs the other? Does the fact that a BBC fires #5 & #7 back to back influence which side to pick? Like I said, there's no 'packaging' reason to pick one side over the other, so I figured I'd ask if there was science that could help. Does it matter? Thanks!
    Makes no difference. The firing order has the same pattern on both banks, 1,x,x,3,x,5,7,x and x,8,4,x,6,x,x,2. So if we start at 5 you get 5,7,x,1,x,x,3,x, and 8,4,x,6,x,x,2,x. So although #5 & #7 are adjacent and prone to crossfire, #8 & #4 are consecutive for the same bank. So as far as pulses in the exhaust system are concerned, there is no difference from one side to the other, all else being equal. Gary
    Regards, Gary

Good point. Didn't think about the #8 & #4 being same bank, back to back. They just aren't cylinders next to each other, but at the collector for a typical 4 to1 header, it's effectively the same. Thanks to all for the input!